BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just been watching an old episode of 5th gear , they were testing branded part worn tyres against new budget tyres ,and the results were quite an eye opener!!!!
they had part worn goodyear,dunlop,pirreli and michelins up against brand new hankook , nankang , fulrun and one other i cant remember.
anyway.... the part worn tyres ALL performed better in the wet, shorter stopping distance,better resistance to aquaplaning and better cornering grip.
in the dry the performance was obviously closer but the guy doing the test driving said the car handled better on the part worns...
makes you stop and think don't it !!!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Part-worn premium tyres will perform better, because they are premium tyres... it's not rocket science.

But fitting second hand tyres can be risky, you don't know what life they've had or how old they are etc...

Tyres are an important safety feature for your car. If you can't easily afford at least a set of mid-range tyres for your car, sell it and buy a Micra :eek

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well they are the only four bits of rubber that hold you onto the road - so as I always say you won't live long on a linglong (brand of tyre that falls into the same category hankook, nankang and the like). So you drive a premium brand motor why anybody would ever consider sub standard tyres is beyond me to be honest.

Could not agree with you more on your last comment mikaveli - oh by the way any good indies in P'boro?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We sell of a lot of part worns, 95% of our part worns are premium bands and with between 5-8mm of tread. We also inspect and test each tyre to ensure we are happy with it and that any defects are immediately brought to our attention. Any bad ones we return. Good ones we then add to stock.

I have on a few occasions put part worns on my cars, admittedly they were all with between 6-8mm (some as new unused but as they have been fitted and removed from a wheel rim ,its classed as used). Never had any problems myself and we do get XJRs, Mercs, BMW, Lexus, WRX's etc all comming back for our part worns do the the quality and testing we do rather than just sell any crap.

Would I rather fit a good quality set of part-worn than a budget? YES.

Falkens are very good, they are becomming more and more expensive every quater as their name is growing and people are now used to them. They are not a budget brand, realistically a mid-range brand that holds its own and in some cases outshines the premium brands...... We have them fitted to a wide range of our vehicles and never had a dissatisfied customer thats had a set fitted upon recommendation.

Some budgets we do come across, we have refused to stock and this does have an affect as we can't always offer the 'cheapest' price on a budget tyre. Many are manufactured to very poor standards, resulting in many customer comebacks and warranty claims due to manufacturing defects which are a pain in the arse. In addition the grip levels and tread compunds are, in my opinion dangerous but realistically, should be unacceptable as they cannot provide what I would class as a 'satisfactory' level of performance. As a result we do inform our customers that we only stock certain budget/economy brands that are made by the premium brands as all others will end up giving grief.

The budgets that are worth getting should you be strapped for cash are the brands that are made by the Premium brand boys. I have a list somewhere but off the top off my head they are as follows (may also be in my tyre guide signature link);

- debica (made by Dunlop) - never had any customer complaints with this
- Corsa (made by Pirelli) - never had any customer complaints with this
- Semperit (made by Continental I think) - never had any experience with these
- Kleber (made by Michelin) - never had any issues with these

There are a cople more but can't think of them

The other 2 Budget brands that we do with which we have never had issues with are;

- Federal
- Maxxis

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just had a part worn place open up down the road from me, i'll be giving them a look when i need my next lot of tyres (a while yet though!). Had 4 Nankangs on my old Golf and never had any issues with them, they stopped, went and handled fine wet or dry.

Not sure i'd put them on my 323 though due to the extra power :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
When i bought my 320ci it had budget tyres all round but they was brand new so i left them. Only prob was wenever it was damp/ greasy or wet on the road every other corner the dsc light would flash :shifty:. Think they was clear pass or something .When i changed my wheels and put the Avons on the difference in handling was shocking. Even on the 330 the Avons perform very well wet or dry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm about to bid on these... but it says Budget tyres... im unsure now?!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230337664397

My current ones are Pirelli but the rears are on the limit now. Any opinions? I've emailed the bloke he hasn't replied with brand name
I would go the extra mile and go for something like this instead

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-18-BMW-MV-1-2-M-SPORT-ALLOY-WHEELS-WITH-TYRES_W0QQitemZ180377853433QQcategoryZ9888QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m215QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DUS-BWR%252BUCI%252BUCC%252BIT%252BUA%26otn%3D12%26ps%3D33

·
Registered
19 Posts
hankook are a subsiduary of yokohama which are decent budget tyres.......I would deffo buy part worn tyres from germany as their tyre legal limits are much stricter than here in the uk. iirc there legal tread limit is 4mm.
My personal choice would be to buy some 4-5mm branded part worns over a set of brand new recycled condoms and plastic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.