BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my e46 few weeks back and trying to restore the thing.
It is in an indy shop for a good 4 days straight now because I am having the following done:
front and rear bushings/ball joints/links replacement
front crankshaft oil seal replacement
differential oil change, brake fluid change
speaker replacement

i thought i could drive the thing home earlier today, however it will idle really badly. the instument cluster display garbled (which is the 2nd time i saw this). i thought it was just the ECU trying to reset itself, but having it run to the nearest gasoline station didn't change anything. it even turned off when i tried to put it in drive.

as soon as i got back to the indy shop, i plugged in my ELM OBD2 bluetooth scanner and read the codes:
P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
P0015 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0366 - Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)

So did my timing jump? I didn't know the repairs that was done could have messed up with the timing.
By the way, the car is on 91000 kms now.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
highly lilely the timing chain has jumped....or somebody has been messing with it and f-cked it....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it is indeed jumped timing, why did it do that, given that the repairs i had it in for should not affect the timing? or did any of those did? it was running perfectly fine prior.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
they are ticking bombs anyway with poor maintenance and the timing chain system neglected or ignored...

·
Registered
27 Posts
they are known for this and usually because the tensioner on the chain hasn't been upgraded the chain usually jumps one or maybe two teeth whilst also destroying your chain guide and sometimes it can take the vvt motor with it ...............lost count now how many people on here its happened to ,its almost as common as oil leaks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solved - replacing the crankshaft oil seal messed with the timing when the pulley was put back in place. the two sprockets were not in a 90 degree angle and the chain jumped a tooth. found out about it when they opened the valve cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts