BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with the locking wheel bolt being over-tightened to the point where the key will just jump off when trying to loosen it. Whilst this is great for stopping my wheels getting nicked it's not so convenient for maintenance:D. I've tried a breaker bar and an electric impact wrench (which got one but still stuck on this one). Any ideas as the key seems to be getting a bit chewed in the process.

Ta.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had to get one off in the scrappy the other day, hammered a 17inch socket on, and put an exhaust pipe on the end of the rachet ;)

Used my innovative calculation of turning moments there :p (further away from the nut you apply the force, the greater the torque is on the centre of the nut)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers found one of those reverse thread tools locally and it did the trick, had smoke coming out by the time I got it off:eek

Now gotta get the tool off the bolt which will be fun lol.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Just for future reference these are the best Locking wheel nut removal sockets here http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/irwin-lugnut-bolt-grip-set

Snap On sell them as Blue Point sockets, but they are Irwin :thumbsup

And as they aren't threaded inside the nut comes out easy, I've used the threaded ones and they are a pain, they also crack easy.
One use only i seem to find with them:frown
They do muller the wheel nuts as well.
Cheers for the link to the decent ones Ronnie :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
One use only i seem to find with them:frown
They do muller the wheel nuts as well.
Cheers for the link to the decent ones Ronnie :thumbsup
The Irwin ones don't muller them :thumbsup

They last really well also unless used on McGard locking wheel nuts/bolts, but I had 3 of mine replaced for free today by Snap On as the insides were mangled where I'd repeatedly over time bashed them on with a hammer on such locking bolts :hihi

I will PM you the best type for BMW bolts :thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts