BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks in advance for your time, to read and hopefully enlighten me with a little more knowledge.

Background: My BMW 328i E6 1997-8 (which i have treasured and runs beautifully and not probably driven to max capacity like all the enthusiasts here ;) ) has been through the mill ever since i picked it up from some very expensive repairs. I have used the one mechanic for the past 3 years and only ever small things have been required in the past.. spark plugs, one coil, i viscous fan (two years ago - a little less actually), radiator cap, tyres (alloy wheels), break pads and disc etc - always run very smoothly quietly 6 cylindar 328i E6, klms 216,000 approx ... only fiddly thing was wiring connection to back break light - but only last week got that fixed permanently so know more hassles there. ALL in all a sound car and normal wear and tear for age.... remarkable for age - 1997 -8

Advice / opinion with problem PLEASE

1. Drivers door window

All windows including drivers working well - electrics etc. The seal on the drivers door has gone hard and cracked in a couple of places. i noticed four months prior to it getting fixed the window start coming out on the outside of the window seal just a before the top - no rain got in ever. it sat on the outside and looked slightly misaligned by a approx 2mm

My car was due for its check up so decided to wait till this time as the window wasnt causing any problems.

after my mechanic checked it out, many other repairs were needed (suspension) etc . at this time he was also going to replace the drivers window seal and realign it at the bottom (re it being a few mm out - max) ... ive now found out the name - and correct terminology ... make an adjustment to the regulator which i understand sits at the bottom of the door.

Two days later I picked my car up one of the first thing i noticed was the seal had not been replaced but the window was up and sitting back on the inside of the seal - straight away i said .... but the cracked seal is still there - as soon as i used it it will do exactly the same thing - pop out through the crack... as that has been the problem.

He said no it will be fine he adjusted it at the bottom (regulator) - i just cant use it for a few days so the seal hardens and sits in place - i said but the cracks still there i cant see how it will not do what it has been doing... he said to leave it a few days it will be fine.

A few days later i use the window - going down was fine - coming back up it popped straight through the crack - but worse it very quickly flipped on an angle and the top left of the window was sticking out the top of the drivers door about an inch above the door frame - lucky it didnt break. a mechanic close by kindly and gently worked it back properly and tapped it up (didnt even charge!! (took photos so i could show my usual mechanic what happened) so i could drive safely to the mechanic that was supposed to have fixed it.

When i return to pick up the car expecting the window/seal and other troubles (car veering to the left and a knocking sound when going over bumber bar, strange buring sound coming from bonnet etc) he had not done the seal and said i had broken it - and showed me two small wheel cog like metal discs about 1.5 cm in diameter and he showed me the broken one and said you need to replace the whole regulator so it will be another $250 NZD ... i said but i dont thinnk it would have broken if it was fixed properly in the first place - and the hard seal with cracks replaced!!! Which i paid for!!! ... He said no thats not correct - and just quoted me the price again ... i was dumbfounded... and after him having the car for half the day... i said well i wil need to check out prices of second hand regulators as ive already spend too much money - he said its hard to get second hand ones.

I went to start the car up and the battery was flat - never in my time has the battery ever been flat - i said why is the battery flay - he said oh the car doors have been open all afternoon - i said but ive had the car doors open all day with spring cleaning and its never gone flat. Anyway - thats another post - i will keep to the regulator etc for now.

So the help i am needed is some well experienced people here to please tell me exactly what the most viable answer is - was i right - if the seal had been replaced it would have run smoothly in its righful place... could the mechanic have over tightened something at the bottom to cause the window to do that - any other questions i should be asking - or information you can give me that can help me undertsand ...perhaps its not his fault at all - but there have been too may other things go wrong if you read my other posts for me to think otherwise.

thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bmw 328i E6 1997-8 window requlator

also forgot to mention.... since the mechanic attempted to adjust regulator/ window without repairing seal - very strange but now the drivers window has to be slightly open before you can put any of the other windows up or down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much, reassuring - I have also been searching on this forum and found one post also where the window popped out and they talked about adjustment bolts ... so im now googling to see what an adjustment bolt looks like and if this is what he showed me - there were two of them. one was broken and thats when he said i need a new requlator

How can i prove it?

I could say to him, you couldn't have adjusted the window properly which is the cause of the problem,.. and i have paid for a new seal so it must be replaced....

hope weather is warmimg up for you over there - spring here and winter on the horizon. Love UK in may june july ... awesome

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also ... any idea why after he works on the window ... now all windows only open when drivers door is open.... wierd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts