BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear, I've bought the car of my dreams and now I ind an oil leak:frown. I haven't looked too in depth, that's tomorrows job:thumbsup. I think from reading the forum that the sump seal may have started to let by. Has anyone changed one in a 2000 E38 (4.4l)? I just want to know how difficult it is? My main worry is jacking the car up and climbing under it; it's a heavy lump after-all. Advice would be appreciated.:confused :confused :confused :confused

·
Registered
91 Posts
Advice in general about oil leaks is to give the area a good clean off so that you can find it easier once it starts to leak again.

Also oil drips and runs down so a wet sump does not always mean the sump is leaking, it could be from anywhere above.

Also if its really hard to find I believe you can get UV dye to put in the oil then use a UV light but probably wont come to this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top boys thanks. Looks like just a power steering fluid line was loose. Phew. It's all cleaned up and hopefully that's that. The good news is that I have got a really good look at the underneath of my car since it's been up on the lifty thing at my local garage. It's a sad thing to say but it's lovely under there. Yes I'm very strange!! Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.