BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have no plans to do any major off-road trips in my incoming X3 but am curious to understand a bit more the capabilities of the X3 (2.0d Xdrive) when it gets taken off tarmac.

I guess that the X3 would be classed as a soft off roader and forest tracks would be fine but driving along heavily rutted boggy tracks would be better left to more hardcore vehicles. My search of the threads on the forum retrieved a lot of information about owners cars being off the road but very little about actual off-roading :rolleyes:

So I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to point me towards threads on the abilities of my X3 off road or alternatively respond on this thread please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Not bad, used my F26 35d daily for rural stuff.
The get out of jail button on muddy tracks is to hold down the TCS button for 2 or 3 seconds for full time 4WD....and winter tyres.
Picked up G02 M40d in March, about to order winter 21's from EU source when sterling lifts as UK winter tyre prices are ludicrous.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I run a landrover, as well as my BMW, my mate runs an X3 2.0 X-drive same as yours, 10 plate, he simply can't follow me, as you've probably guessed, but he does get surprisingly far. If it's a regular forest track or farm track type of green lane then you ought to be fine, but the real trick is to learn to read the track and find out beforehand what you and the vehicle can do, and what it can't do. There are many Pay and Play places about, mostly geared up for big stuff, but all I've ever been to also have tracks set out for road oriented AWD cars.

If you go green laning, don't go on your own until you KNOW what you and the car can do .. I'm a rep for GLASS (Green Lane Association) and regularly take novices (Dacia Duster, Freelander, Mitsubishi Pinin, and indeed BMW X3 and X5, out laning on routes that are way harder than they'd think they can manage, but I have a fully tricked (diff-locks front and rear etc) vehicle with winches and all the recovery gear to get them out if they screw up. I use cb's to keep in touch and guide and a lot of Glass reps do the same thing, as do many other clubs.

I'd suggest joining a local motor group that does soft-roader green laning, or join Glass Find your local rep and just ask if there are any trips arranged ... There won't be yet, but they'll be happy to help. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts