BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original diamond key doesn't operate properly. Initially I thought the battery needed replaced - which I replaced and confirmed was working - but after having done that, the key still didn't perform. It did very randomly work but so random that I stopped attempting to use it and just use the manual lock/unlock mechanism. However for the last few days I noticed that if I insert the key in the lock barrel, turn in to the open position and keep the open button pressed; all my windows will go down. The only function that works and it only works in the stated position. No other function seems to work. Has anyone come across such an issue before?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If you hold the key in the open position all the windows go down anyway

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but only if your key is supposed to be working. No other button on the key works - only the open button works works for the windows. The key won't even unlock the car with the same button.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Same as if u hold in the lock position the windows go up im about to send my old e46 to scrap id send u the key as u could get it coded for the locks but it wouldnt start your car so there would be no point haha ull have to get a new one with a blank blade get that coded and cut by bmw

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Check the switches work

·
Super Moderator
5,903 Posts
Same as if u hold in the lock position the windows go up im about to send my old e46 to scrap id send u the key as u could get it coded for the locks but it wouldnt start your car so there would be no point haha ull have to get a new one with a blank blade get that coded and cut by bmw
If you send iffy your key,then iffy only has to open up his key and your key and swap over the circuit board from yours to his and then desolder his ews chip and solder it to your circuit board.

·
Registered
62 Posts
had the same problem chum!! There is a procedure to re code your key to the car..

Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fob
Take your key turn the ignition on to position 1 ( max 5 secs) then off and remove the key
Press and hold the unlock button and then press the lock button 3 times within 10 seconds.
Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.

apparently if the key is pressed multiple times or pressed for a certain amount of time it loses the code!!
I tried to recode mine but it didn't work, I also bought the new key kit online, cost me a ten spot! got it cut at a local key place for a fiver.....you need to run a knife around the old key and swap the circuit boards though.....

Ps the battery will never run flat, as it charges off an induction coil around the ignition!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.