BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
It hard to tell. But it looks like 14. Mine has a key light on it when the button is pressed. I only got the car yesterday.

The car is a BMW 320I 1995 saloon. Is there suposed to be an alarm on this model?

The button does nothing apart from turns the key light on and to lock and unlock the cars central locking I need to insert the key into the driver or passenger door lock and turn the key.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Well keys from car build date 01/1995 have a chip built in. Car won't start without the chip. Price for key with torch £29.37

As for the alarm problem look under the bonnet, you will have a big alarm siren if alarm fitted.

Now keeping on topic :hihi, keys can only be obtained from dealer for coded keys.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is it just a case of giving them the number plate and vin numbers?

Do you know if this model and year ever had a remote central locking on it?

The date of first registration is August 1995 if that helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at getting a spare for mine, (97 523i) and have seen a lot on eBay, is it worth getting one of these and coding it yourself (Timpsons say they will laser cut the blade for a fiver), or should you get one from a dealer?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Number plate and Vin/the V5 and photo ID.

The remote central locking would have been on the alarm that is sometimes fitted afterwards. Have a look under the bonnet for a siren.

I'm looking at getting a spare for mine, (97 523i) and have seen a lot on eBay, is it worth getting one of these and coding it yourself (Timpsons say they will laser cut the blade for a fiver), or should you get one from a dealer?
That isn't the problem, the key has a chip for the security system, called EWS, it stops the car from being hot wired.

Central locking is a completely different thing, hence why you can recode a key for the central locking. But it won't work the EWS.

To put it simply, you unlock car with the key that is programmed for the central locking, you put key in ignition, ignition antenna coil ring reads chip built in key and doesn't recognise it and tells it to go away :hihi, thus not cancelling the EWS and car will not turn over or start.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Had a look under the bonnet and I can't see any siren horn. So it looks like its not alarmed.

Do you know if this car would have had remote locking and unlocking from a key fob from new and if yes would you say that the key I have here is the spare without the remote locking function built in?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
That isn't the problem, the key has a chip for the security system, called EWS, it stops the car from being hot wired.

Central locking is a completely different thing, hence why you can recode a key for the central locking. But it won't work the EWS.

To put it simply, you unlock car with the key that is programmed for the central locking, you put key in ignition, ignition antenna coil ring reads chip built in key and doesn't recognise it and tells it to go away :hihi, thus not cancelling the EWS and car will not turn over or start.
Hmm, so the ones on eBay will open my car, but not start the engine.....
Not like eBay to be full of rubbish :eye-popping

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I ask BMW for a replacement main key for my 320i 1995 will it have a built in wireless remote function to lock and unlock the doors, that will work with my car. I do not have a alarm in my car. It has no siren under the bonnet.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Had a look under the bonnet and I can't see any siren horn. So it looks like its not alarmed.

Do you know if this car would have had remote locking and unlocking from a key fob from new and if yes would you say that the key I have here is the spare without the remote locking function built in?

Thanks
If I ask BMW for a replacement main key for my 320i 1995 will it have a built in wireless remote function to lock and unlock the doors, that will work with my car. I do not have a alarm in my car. It has no siren under the bonnet.

Thanks
No, :frown

I'd get a aftermarket alarm fitted which will work your central locking if you want it badly :thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.