Votes: 1 6.7%
  • you will be fine just dont crash

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am planning on going to nurburgring in march and been asking arround allot and am in 2 minds of wot to do so your advice would be helpfull,
is it worth getting a 1 day track insurance, but with a £5000 excess am not convinced.
do you know of any sites that will do cheep one day track insurance?
or if i crash do i blagg that it was a one way de-ristricted toll road?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Norwich Union ( Not Norwich Union Direct) So I have been told.

Just called Privilege:

First they said that the green card would cost me £16 for fully comp cover but I would not be able to go "on the track" as they put it.

I didn't even bother pointing out that it was not a "track" I just said that my policy covered me for UK track days as long as there was no timing/racing etc - so why not this one? She asked me if I had done many UK track days with them - said yeah plenty. She then went to check with her supervisor - all OK.

I double checked the notes she made on her computer to make sure it specifically stated that I was fully comp throughout the trip and also fully comp driving the Nurburgring.

·
Administrator
4,210 Posts
Most insurers now exclude the ring. Mine does on the certificate of insurance itself! Even if it doesn't exclude it I wouldn't want to try to get them to pay up as I am sure they would wriggle out of it on "speed testing", "racing", "time-trialing" grounds or something similar.

Whilst a £5000 excess maybe a lot it's possible to run up huge bills there. Imagine taking out a Porsche, a bit of barrier, spilling oil everywhere forcing a track closure... Alternatively, it's a big risk if a biker goes up the back of you but you can't produce insurance to the German police.

Saying all that, I didn't bother with track insurance and instead took out two separate polices one to try blagging the de-restricted toll road, the other for personal accident/liability insurance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didnt bother both times I went but I am tempted to go on the ringers forum or northloop for some ideas of where to get insurance next time Im there.
If it can be got at a reasonable price it has to be worth a punt. Doesnt help that european break down is already a mare at £80 on top of all the other costs.

I guess if you ever need it you'll be gutted if you didnt bother.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I didnt bother both times I went but I am tempted to go on the ringers forum or northloop for some ideas of where to get insurance next time Im there.
If it can be got at a reasonable price it has to be worth a punt. Doesnt help that european break down is already a mare at £80 on top of all the other costs.

I guess if you ever need it you'll be gutted if you didnt bother.
Slightly off topic but your car looks sweet in that signature pic Mike :cool
Are those BBS RS or LMs?

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Yes it is a public toll road, so you may already be covered on your regular insurance.
Your not covered on regular insurance unless it specifically specifies track day coverage...

many's the story of someone wrapping their car up at a track day only to find they have no cover...

its well worth the piece of mind and ££ to pay a week or day insurance for it IMHO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your not covered on regular insurance unless it specifically specifies track day coverage...
Not strictly true of the ring fella. By rights it "should" be covered by your regular road insurance as the ring is a public toll road and you are not involved in a race or time trials. However insurance companies have become wise of this over the last few years and most put specific clauses in policys now just for use at the ring.

They are RC's actually:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes it is a public toll road, so you may already be covered on your regular insurance.
You are not covered be very careful mate! Get a seperate insurance just for the time your gonna be there, even the local hire cars around nurburg have been fitted with trackers because of people taking them on the ring! If your sensible and safe you'll be fine....

...if you have a smash, you'll be charged for the armco barrier/m, for the ring being closed, for the emergency services and damage to anything else! Which can go upto and past £100k!!!

Get roadside cover from adac - https://www.adac.de/images/Antrag engl.WBS 7407_tcm8-91323.pdf

who'll tow you rather than paying for the ring flatbed. Get a helmet and fire extinguisher.

But it is the best thing you'll ever do! I'm headed back in may! Can't wait!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts