BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
So i'v recently purchased a 325ci and absolutely love it. My 3rd e46 to date.

However, while entering a few roundabouts i'v tried to heel and toe annnnnd nothing. No blip, no rev match, nothing.
Turns out that when my brake is depressed :( my throttle is totally disengaged also!!!
Can anyone shed some light on this issue. is it a fault? is it a safety feature programmed from the dealer?
Even at standstill with the brake pressed you can press the throttle all you want and you won't get a thing but soon as you come off the brake it roars to life.

Anybody any ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's a safety feature on many cars unfortunately. Damn annoying for H&T. Not sure about yours specifically though, sorry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it kinda reminds me of a safety feature the way it is so flawless in its operation. Say if you hold it at 3000rpm then press the brake with your left foot it will smoothly kill the revs to nothing.

Right PITA if you enjoy a spirited drive.

Might pop into the dealer and see what they know about this issue as mine does seem to have a lot of programmable features installed, even autolock when above 8mph.

Could this be a fault tho? Anybody know how to undo, fix or reset this ridiculousness? Or even confirm this is a programmable feature?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well i think i may have the answer but could do with a little conformation.
I found a single cached page deep in the interwebs of a zhp driver who had the same issue after forgetting to plug his MAF back in after a diy.
I then ran a code reader on the motor and lo and behold its coming up with a MAF fault.

Anyone fancy disconnecting theirs then checking their throttle with the brake pedal depressed??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey lads well i'm pleased to say that this problem is........SOLVED.

Nothing too surprising really IT WAS THE MAF.

Eurocarparts wouldn't let me trial fit the official siemens vdo version in the car park. They said once you've bought it, its non returnable! Unlike the £80 one they let me try the day before.:sarcastic

Hell of a gamble on a £180 part, especially considering the £80 one did absolutely nothing so i told em to stick it and decided to fully test the maf connector before committing to the purchase.
Got the multimeter on her, 12v from live (so not the live)
12v to ground (so not the ground)
but the signal wire after a little back probing was up n down like a hookers knickers!! It had to be the bloody maf!!

Sooo found a Siemens vdo from another competitor going for £150 (after discount) received it today and...

No code.
Cruise control back. (which also goes awry when the maf goes down, who knew??)
And most important to me (screw the mpg) i can finally heel and toe again!! :D Full throttle response is back when brake is also engaged.

i hope that what iv been through helps others with the mysterious knock on effects of a dodgy maf, or at least help you diagnose one.
Now its time for the Remus. :thumbsup
P.s can admin add solved to the thread title. i tried but no joy. Might help someone filter out the many maf problem threads out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright brother,
After all the hassle you've had with this fault and all the testing of connections we did and not to mention the head ache it's been giving you. At least you've now got the bloody MAF sorted. I'm also glad that your so happy that you can heal and toe again so that you can try and catch me down the parkway lol lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts