BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys, I have just prised this information from a local Traffic Cop, I purchased a car with window tints already in, and after watching far too many of the "Traffic Cop" programs on good old Dave (Channel 19 or 111 by the way) I thought it would be a good idea to get it checked out...This is what they class as "The Law"...

Front Windscreen:
This area of the vehicle must allow a minimum of 75% light through into the cabin.

Front Door Windows:
This area of the vehicle must allow a minimum of 75% light through into the cabin.

Rear Door Windows:
Currently there is no law stipulating the minimum amount of light that these must let though into the cabin.

Rear Window:
Again, currently there is no law stipulating the minimum amount of light that this must let though into the cabin.

The way they measure the amount of light your windows will allow through, is by a small magnetic light source and sensor (TintMan) which are attached either side of a window, whichever they think is illegal. They measure 3 spots across the window in question, and get an average.

Now the important part... Each window that is considered not to allow enough light through into the cabin carries a penalty of 3 points. So if you have 2 windows which contravene what they class as the law you are then entitled to a whole 6 points endorsed to your license.

Just thought that I should pass this information on, as Ive noticed quite a few topics regarding it on a wide range of forums.

Regards.
Steve

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that a standard window only lets in the stated amount of light as all windows are naturally tinted from the factory anyway?

I think this law is such a load of Bollards!!!

The amount of times I used to get dazzled at junctions was unbelievable when my coupe windows were not tinted. In my opinion they do not interfere with night vision either like some of the cheap and nasty tints.

Anything to get boy racers off the street and create revenue... Why not concentrate on the flocking illegal immigrants or foreigners that are or have been raping our system for years.

This country is soo flocked i'd like to emigrate!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its also my understanding that you can only get on set of points on your license at any one time so even if you had two windows illegal you would still only get 3 points. I was in court for after accidently breaking the speed limit very briefly (you honour :angel ) and there was a guy with no mot, no insurance, 4 bald tires and no brake lights....he left with 6 points on his license, the same as i got for speeding on an empty dual carrage way.:mad

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had my vehicle checked this afternoon, PC Chambers was kind enough to check the front 3 for me, these were the reading (off the top of my hear):

Front Windscreen 91.3
O/S/F Window 38.3
N/S/F Window 39.3

Now I know that the front windscreen hasnt been tinted, coloured or even touched, so how they will work around this in the future I dont know.

A little further information, its only the Traffic Cops that carry the TintMan currently, and they appreciated me going in and asking about it, rather than having to pull me up for a silly offence and then nit-picking.

I agree that the country is totally flocked too..maybe Ill emigrate to Iran or Iraq and increase their population instead.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
They take the penalty for the highest offence.

When I was a lot younger and stoopid I got done for no insurance tax and leaving the scene of an accident and got 9 points:eek When all the points were added up it came to about 15 or something like that.

A little while after I gained another 3 for speeding.

Thankfully i've grown up a lot since:thumbsup

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its also my understanding that you can only get on set of points on your license at any one time so even if you had two windows illegal you would still only get 3 points. I was in court for after accidently breaking the speed limit very briefly (you honour :angel ) and there was a guy with no mot, no insurance, 4 bald tires and no brake lights....he left with 6 points on his license, the same as i got for speeding on an empty dual carrage way.:mad
Each window that contravenes this law carries an endorsement of 3 points. I was quoted this by PC Chambers of the Queens Traffic Rozzers in Brigg.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi all
A20 RYM if you emagrate can i hav your car mate sorry but had to ask.

on the point of points on your beloved piece of green paper i work in one of the courts in kent and we do not like to take to court our frends from over the water as there is no money in it as we can not chase them for the money as thay can you if you do not pay sad yes will it change no but if you go over the water and do it thay will hold your vechicel untill you hav payed that can be a car or an 18 wheeler i lov the uk

·
Banned
31 Posts
I wounder how a decent thread on window tints managed to turn into foreigner bashing!

I love the fact that now foreigners are 'raping our system'. It's funny when I went to the hospital in December there were a lot of 'foreigners'. I wounder if they were raping the system.

May I suggest if you have racist comments you keep them to yourself.

Whacky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a quick one about the tints on fronwindows.
If you get stopped,drop the windows as they CANNOT force you to raise them so they can be tested.They will ask, but you will refuse...............wont you !!???:hihi

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They cant force you to raise them, but they can give you a producer. Its a nice pink slip, and you have to go to the specified police station and they will inspect the whole car, or possibly arrest you on the spot.

If your difficult with the law, they will find everything wrong with your car possible. Dont be a div and argue with them, the law is there for a reason.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that a standard window only lets in the stated amount of light as all windows are naturally tinted from the factory anyway?

I think this law is such a load of Bollards!!!

The amount of times I used to get dazzled at junctions was unbelievable when my coupe windows were not tinted. In my opinion they do not interfere with night vision either like some of the cheap and nasty tints.

Anything to get boy racers off the street and create revenue... Why not concentrate on the flocking illegal immigrants or foreigners that are or have been raping our system for years.

This country is soo flocked i'd like to emigrate!!!
I couldn't agree any more! I've only had my license 4 a year! Which means I can lose it just 4 my flocking tints. That's proper taking the pi**.

·
Banned
31 Posts
You see I'm not sure I agree, the whole point in having a window is so that you can see through it.

The point about modifying your car is so it does not look standard so if there was no standard window tint. There would not be a bar to push to make yours look different.

Also there has to be some line drawn in the sand, ie a certain amount of lights need to get in, if there was no line drawn we all know there would be some clowns riding around with LIMO tints at the front. Thats why we have a law because people are either to stupid or to selfish regulate their own behaviour.

If you don't want to get done by the Police make sure you modifiy your car leagally if not accept that if you get caught you up the swanny.

For example god forbid if you pull out in your over tinited widows and kill somebody on a motorcycle after a Police investigation they conclude you may have seen the bike with normal windows you are fooked.

Thats causing death by dangerous driving and that a spell in prison.

Suggesting that Police pick on boy racers is very true but why shouldn't they? I have notheing to hide the police can stop me anytime

Whacky

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To follow on from Whacky's above post, regarding the accident side of things.

If you were to have an accident, with tinted windows, whether they were legal or not, had you forgotten to inform your insurance company of this, they could refuse to pay out, thus leaving you with a nasty hole in your pocket.

I did the bright thing and went and got mine checked, mainly because I'd heard so much about the TintMan they use, and that so many people were getting caught out by tinting companies selling apparently "legal" tints.

The Police are there to Protect and Serve, by enforcing this law they are protecting other road users from stupid boy racers, or numb-skulls who think over tinting windows is good practice.

If you don't want to lose your license, remove the tints, or better yet don't draw attention to yourself on the roads. If a lamp goes in your rear clusters, replace it immediately, its a reason to pull you over, once they have you on the side of the road, you ARE at their mercy, and they WILL go over your car with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did a respose to this as it was one of my first posts on this forum - not sure about the front screen - I was under the impression that it was not to have any tint on it whatsover 95% min light must get through - the front sides I know are 75% rears past the Bpost anything you like - this was according to the VOSA website not the police......

I think one of the members was done on this topic recently - fine on the spot - get the tints off the car is the best policy - this all came about because a death occured at night when the driver of a heavily tinited car did not spot on coming traffic when pulling out of a juction at night.

Any decent tint company will not even touch your front windows no matter what you cash you offer them - but then there others who will do all round in limo black if you want and do not care what happens.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There have been a few changes in the law, the most up to date version is the first post of this topic. I have it all here in black and white, and made sure I got the police officer to sign it and add his badge number to it.

He was actually quite a nice bloke and appreciated that I had been in to ask about it, instead of playing hell up if I was to be pulled over and have them inspected. I also had no involvement in putting the tints on or purchasing them, as they were already installed on the car, which is usually how folks happen to fall into the trap.

As said by MTec, any decent tint company wont touch your front windows, but there are some out there that will. So make sure you find out what your going to get before you part with any cash, and make sure they supply you with the light readings for each window that has been tinted, if they do your front ones that is.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just a quick one about the tints on fronwindows.
If you get stopped,drop the windows as they CANNOT force you to raise them so they can be tested.They will ask, but you will refuse...............wont you !!???:hihi
You don't have too, but you will get arrested for among other things preventing a policeman from conducting his lawful duty, an offence that carries a much higher penalty, they will probably also throw in wasting police tie and the original offence as well.

Tom

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I wounder how a decent thread on window tints managed to turn into foreigner bashing!

I love the fact that now foreigners are 'raping our system'. It's funny when I went to the hospital in December there were a lot of 'foreigners'. I wounder if they were raping the system.

Whacky
I have "NO" Racist comments!

Yes I have views on how the country is run... by letting numbers of foreign people in that 1) puts a strain on the emergency services i.e. HOSPITALS (As you already state- who often require translators that obviously they don't pay for) and 2) The police - No further comment!!!!

It comes to something when your own Government cannot confirm how many "Foreigners" (to stay politically correct) it has in it's own country.

Just like a car and it's fuel tank, it can only do so many miles before the amount of money put in runs dry!!!!

I don't want to spoil this thread so please check out this link http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f22/racist-comment-or-not-t7349/ if anyone is concerned about what I have said. PLEASE do not post further comments regarding my opinion in this thread:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts

Whacky

What racist comment? Its people like you who have bought our country to its knees. A member comments on foriegners who are raping our system and he's called racist?

:applause :applause :applause :applause :applause :applause :applause :applause:applause

I use the term Chavs alot, are you going to call me a racist too?

:banghead

oh and regards to tints, i'm going limo black all round. yes they will be illegal but they will look really good on my black car. :cool

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.