BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow radsters!

Thought I'd get involved and post up my H22 civic build.

Basically it's a 1996 Honda Civic. This was the 'warm' ESi version, with a 1.6 Single Cam VTEC, with 124bhp, 100lb/ft and 7200rpm redline.

I decided that wasn't nearly enough, so out went the D16Z6 engine, and in its place, a H22A2 engine from a Honda Prelude VTi. This is a 2.2 DOHC VTEC with 195bhp, 170lb/ft and an 8200rpm redline.

Involved in the swap:
Custom engine mounts
Custom drive shafts
Custom exhaust
Chopped wiring loom
Crowbar
Mallet
Blood
Swearing

I shan't start from the very beginning, I'll pick up from near the end (it's been a long process because the car lives at home near peterborough, and I reside near Hertford because of work)

So here we pick up the story after I've done the first install of the engine, spliced the wiring loom together and had it running (ish). This was my "final push" weekend:

Start of Day 1 - Sat am. I rescued the car from it's nasty, yet dry, environment:

...old battery was shot so I fired it up using a lorry battery...wouldn't you know it sparked into life almost before the key was in the ignition.

Having evicted the usual residents, the secret command centre was all mine (aka calm before the storm):

The Engine Before..

Note: this is NOT a good look for a car:

Engine is back in and all shiny now, though:

True to form, I even managed a bit more weight saving from the nose - that should make up for the heavier engine :lol: :

bumper still fits..

...engine hasn't fallen out yet....

clean, crisp light of day..(after grounding the manifold...doh)

starting up first time

vacuum needs checking!

sounds down right fruity in the metal.

I'm actually surprised at how smoothly it runs - rev hunting notwithstanding...

I'm currently waiting on a few parts to redo the brakes - I've fitted 282mm fronts from a Honda Legend (using MG ZS Discs) and am replacing the rear brake lines because they were totally shot, and I've got a new exhaust section waiting to go on.

The car is pretty substantially stripped out:

note the shifter linkage, which had to have a big hole cut in the floor because the H22 uses cables where the D16 used rods.

and for comedy value- this is the first time I fired it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC60BPsFuFY

..at which point I realised my cam timing was 180 degrees out at TDC. oops..

So anyway, that's pretty much the build!

It's off to Le Mans (hopefully) in June so in the process of sorting the brakes and exhaust, and giving it a new coat of paint. Oh and a passenger seat :hihi

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah it sure has been a lot of work!

Basic idea for the car is track days and a bit of weekend fun (if I can justify the insurance). Starting to get sorely tempted to chop it for an E36 325i and start again, though! Having said that, probably better off waiting a year or two and picking up an E36 M3 - if I decide I need to.

In the mean time, I keep having silly thoughts about the big chunk of space there is where the air con rad used to sit...and how a turbo would sit in there juuuust nicely. But in all honesty, thats the last thing it needs lol.

wheelspin in first with 60% throttle from 2krpm. Theoretical top speed with the gearing is the wrong side of 170mph. Standing start won't be too hot because of traction (Non-stripped out H22 EG's run around the 13 second mark, so I'd expect high 12's to low 13's for a 1/4 mile).

Forgot to mention I also have a 4lb flywheel in there (10lbs lighter than standard!) and a 4-paddle ACT race clutch (which actually isn't anything like as harsh as I had expected).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah it sure has been a lot of work!

Basic idea for the car is track days and a bit of weekend fun (if I can justify the insurance). Starting to get sorely tempted to chop it for an E36 325i and start again, though! Having said that, probably better off waiting a year or two and picking up an E36 M3 - if I decide I need to.

In the mean time, I keep having silly thoughts about the big chunk of space there is where the air con rad used to sit...and how a turbo would sit in there juuuust nicely. But in all honesty, thats the last thing it needs lol.

wheelspin in first with 60% throttle from 2krpm. Theoretical top speed with the gearing is the wrong side of 170mph. Standing start won't be too hot because of traction (Non-stripped out H22 EG's run around the 13 second mark, so I'd expect high 12's to low 13's for a 1/4 mile).

Forgot to mention I also have a 4lb flywheel in there (10lbs lighter than standard!) and a 4-paddle ACT race clutch (which actually isn't anything like as harsh as I had expected).
after all that mate i would keep it thats a track weapon question is can i have ago please lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha I'm sure passenger rides won't be out of the question, not sure I'll be too hot on other people driving it, though!

tbh my reason for considering getting rid is that I'm overly competitive at heart, and I wanted to enter hill climbs and sprints. I went through the blue book and spoke to a scrutineer and found that because the engine in the car wasn't originally available in the honda civic, the car would have to be in the over 2 litre sports unlimited class...with the group B rally cars. It's quick, but it's no RS200!

·
Registered
147 Posts
haha I'm sure passenger rides won't be out of the question, not sure I'll be too hot on other people driving it, though!

tbh my reason for considering getting rid is that I'm overly competitive at heart, and I wanted to enter hill climbs and sprints. I went through the blue book and spoke to a scrutineer and found that because the engine in the car wasn't originally available in the honda civic, the car would have to be in the over 2 litre sports unlimited class...with the group B rally cars. It's quick, but it's no RS200!
id keep it go the turbo route mate then group be maybe more in your sights ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
possibly though I suspect then traction will become a MAJOR issue.

still, good for the challenge!

·
Registered
147 Posts
possibly though I suspect then traction will become a MAJOR issue.

still, good for the challenge!
my dad had a 620 bhp rwd drive skyline he had traction issues so he bought after market traction control you can pick it up from apex performance of try and run toyo r888 tyres semi slicks i think your be ok

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm might have to look in to that, cheers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never seen this engine conversion before, well done that man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts