BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive been pulled over by the police today. my number plate has a space in it and the 2 in it has been slightly modded.i understand that it is illegal but the police man took pics and is sending them to the dvla and he says they can take the plate off me?? has any body heard of this or had it done to them. im a bit gutted as the plate is realy not that bad and there are plenty out there more extreme than mine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yep, they may well revoke your plate and either 'totally destroy it' (i.e. plate will never again be seen), or they can resell it to someone else...... with no compensation paid to you, just another plate issued. Usually you just get a 7-day wonder though, the policeman must have missed the last jam filled doughnut....

TBH, though yours is a bit 'out there', but not as bad as the one parked on campus near me, pink surrounds, italic writing, pink playboy bunny graphics behind it and numerous other crap affixed.....

ATB,
Tom

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what a blagg the copper said the dvla will contact me over it???
what makes me laugh is that is that my laser snooper/jammer is behind my grills and he took pics of the reg and its hid behind the grills and he didnt c it.quite funny but fined and the plates costme money!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Swap the plates over and then when DVLA contact you you can tell them that it has been rectified and you are sorry:rofl

Tell them anything in order to keep your plate, break down in tears if need be :lol

Personally I would always keep the rear number plate legal and the front modified. If you get spotted front on then at least they have to turn around by which time you've planted right foot to metal and leave a dust message saying M3 C YA :lol:lol:lol

I'm lucky, I chose a plate that was unique to my car and I could get away with it not needing to be spaced:cool

·
Registered
21 Posts
To be honest, I have no sympathy. You are trying to make your plate look like something else. There are written rules about fount, size and spacing and it clearly states that it is against the law to alter from the given specifications. The DVLA normally give 2 warnings before ceasing your right to use it but I personally think they are being too kind and should just cease it immediately. If you can't afford the plate that clearly states what you want it to say, buying another and altering it is not the next best option.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,229 Posts
@a20 rym/ good advice i'm having a bit of that. I'm new to the site, how have you got Twenty's under them arches? I've got schnittzer coilovers on and had to use 3mm spacers on the front because they rubbed. My rubber is Avon zz3 235/35???

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
You always used to get a few warnings before they would take the plate. I heard rumours that they could even re-register your car on a Q reg, but I think it more likely you would get the plate that was originally on the car back.

Of course all this has nothing to do with automatic revenue generation from those yellow cash boxes at the side of he road...

Ian

·
Registered
478 Posts
You always used to get a few warnings before they would take the plate. I heard rumours that they could even re-register your car on a Q reg, but I think it more likely you would get the plate that was originally on the car back.

Of course all this has nothing to do with automatic revenue generation from those yellow cash boxes at the side of he road...

Ian
Hmmmmm..... slightly cynical there..... LOL......

They are also using anti-terror legislation now, so they can if they wish hold you for 48 hours etc. etc. as a terrorist, but only a few a-holes have used it like that (councils use the legislation more to check who's dumping what in there own bins....).

Tom

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
hi ive been pulled over by the police today. my number plate has a space in it and the 2 in it has been slightly modded.i understand that it is illegal but the police man took pics and is sending them to the dvla and he says they can take the plate off me?? has any body heard of this or had it done to them. im a bit gutted as the plate is realy not that bad and there are plenty out there more extreme than mine.
My question would be how long have you had the car?

If you've had the car for a while then when the car was MOTed they should have failed it for incorrect spacing, if this was the case then you must have put the plate back on after the MOT, :shifty:.

If it wasn't pulled up on the MOT then you can say that you didn't know the rules/law on it and it wasn't picked up on the MOT so how were you to know.

The MOT rules have just been updated for number plates now, so expect to see less dodgy plates and more annoyed owners.
Plates aren't aloud to have honeycomb backgrounds, stickers or flags in the plate,ie your football club(The Europe flag and other official ones are fine), plates from 2001 onwards must be a BSAU 145d plate, or they can be failed on that also. See here http://www.bnma.org/bsaua45d.htm

·
Registered
426 Posts
My question would be how long have you had the car?

If you've had the car for a while then when the car was MOTed they should have failed it for incorrect spacing, if this was the case then you must have put the plate back on after the MOT, :shifty:.

If it wasn't pulled up on the MOT then you can say that you didn't know the rules/law on it and it wasn't picked up on the MOT so how were you to know.

The MOT rules have just been updated for number plates now, so expect to see less dodgy plates and more annoyed owners.
Plates aren't aloud to have honeycomb backgrounds, stickers or flags in the plate,ie your football club(The Europe flag and other official ones are fine), plates from 2001 onwards must be a BSAU 145d plate, or they can be failed on that also. See here http://www.bnma.org/bsaua45d.htm

Whats the legislation on reflective vinyl plates ronnie? I mean the self adhesive ones used in motorsport.

Know of a few people that have them and haven't had problems are they are spaced correctly and reflective, seems a grey area?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Whats the legislation on reflective vinyl plates ronnie? I mean the self adhesive ones used in motorsport.

Know of a few people that have them and haven't had problems are they are spaced correctly and reflective, seems a grey area?
Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
@a20 rym/ good advice i'm having a bit of that. I'm new to the site, how have you got Twenty's under them arches? I've got schnittzer coilovers on and had to use 3mm spacers on the front because they rubbed. My rubber is Avon zz3 235/35???
I have posted in a few threads but happy to pass on information via PM if you wish:thumbsup

*EDITED* :rofl

:thumbsup

·
Registered
788 Posts
i personally have been done a few times on different cars , only twice on this one though they always threaten to report you to dvla and take pictures but iv never had a warning of them , infact iv never heard anymore i actually think they like all the £30 fines being paid put it this way if everyone drove legally they would lose loads of revenue in fines, mine used to be much worse than this in the 5 was wavy and up against the gig so as to read GIGS 320 when really it should be GIG 5320

·
Registered
206 Posts
I understand that the plates won't be taken away immediately, normally you will have had to have been found guilty at court or evidence produced to confirm you have been done before. Only after that will the DVLA take away the plate.

Agree with the earlier reply tho, why go to the bother of spacing it badly it just takes away from the look of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.