BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I purchased a 335d of late 2006 and it was fine until yesterday.

Ever since I put my foot down, it looks like my car went into limp mode and accelerates really slowly, until after about 3.5k revvs it starts picking speed up but still not as fast as it used to be.

It also throws the P1253 code but it doesnt have a definition. I find different definitions for this code so I thought maybe someone could answer it for sure in this thread.

Now I know that there are loads of posts, but I have no idea how this engine is designed and its my very first turbo car, so if people will be saying that its the turbo actuators or the wastegate, could you please explain where it's located and if I can do anything to it to temporarily get full power back until I bring it to the garage?

thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
This is a classic symptom of the small turbo not boosting. In most cases the small vacuum pipes perish which then causes boost issues such as you describe. They are easy enough to change but you need to be methodical and replace one at a time and cut the old pipes off. Nine times out of ten this sorts the issue out. Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
861 Posts
There are loads of them that run all over the engine and it is generally a number that fail. The age of your car is ripe for perished pipes. Sadly it’s often better to replace as many as you can and when I did mine I just bought 5meters of pipe off eBay and then worked one at a time round the engine. If you take the engine cover off there is a black pressure chamber which looks a bit like a grenade and the pipes that go to it are often the ones that fail and impact on boost.
cheers
jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are loads of them that run all over the engine and it is generally a number that fail. The age of your car is ripe for perished pipes. Sadly it’s often better to replace as many as you can and when I did mine I just bought 5meters of pipe off eBay and then worked one at a time round the engine. If you take the engine cover off there is a black pressure chamber which looks a bit like a grenade and the pipes that go to it are often the ones that fail and impact on boost.
cheers
jim
Cheers man, much appreciated!
Would you be able to send a photo of that grenade so I know what to look for? Can't seem to find any videos or photos related to this

·
Registered
861 Posts
On my 635 it was on the top of the engine. If you take the engine acoustic cover off you should see it. You will also see all the little vacuum pipes which run all over the place.
cheers
jim

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
thats the oil feed hose horseshoe shape with banjo bolts,,new revised part at dealers about £60,and new copper washers,easy to replace as i did it on my e92 335d,also the vacuum tank can crack,also the vac lines cannot be seen inside the braid,and will be hard and brittle,and can crack and also the nipples the vac lines connect to,if changing them do it one at a time and cut pipe off nipplke with stanley blade or you will crack nipple off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hiya, no not yet. Still waiting for the chance to be able to give the car away to the garage. What's funny is that after a week's time of no power the car decided it was tired of driving slow and it went back to full power. I am still going to replace the actuators, but the power cutting off and coming back is very weird.

This is what happened when I got it back: I was driving casually at 30mph and I noticed my car wouldnt change gear, so I thought "here we go now transmission is moaning", put my foot down thinking it will change gear, but instead I found myself shittin it as my body got crushed into the seat and the car started flying... weird.

After it fixed itself, the car lost power and gained it back on the same day twice so far. That happened on two different days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts