BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted up recently about my recent purchase of my Storm Motorwerks gearknob, handbrake handle and lighter blank:

I figured today would be the day that I got round to fitting them as I had some time on my hands and I need to start whittling down the boxes of car parts I now seem to be collecting.

So after reading a few posts on how to remove it and checking on TIS (which suggests you need a force of around 400 NM to remove it) - I figured I'd set about it.

To put things in perspective - I wouldn't exactly describe myself as being weedy and certainly didn't think pulling a gear knob off would be beyond my strength or capabilities.

But I was yanking on this thing for 10 minutes solid and it would budge.. I tried all sorts of ways of positioning myself in the car (mindful of some of the posts regarding smashed mouths/teeth etc) and still couldn't wrestle the thing free... eventually I sat back to evaluate my strategy.. and it was then that I noticed that the stock BMW chromeline gearknob appeared to be separating slightly between the leather and the chrome backing. I had been pulling on it that hard that the knob was separating itself from itself instead of coming free from the shaft. It was then that it dawned on me that it was GLUED to the shaft - one of the previous owners in their infinite wisdom had used some sort of mega adhesive to bond it to the shaft!

Now that I was clear on how it was held on - and I was resigned to the gearknob being a total loss - I separated the front from the back and was then left with this:

I very carefully started chipping away at the adhesive and peeling it off methodically.. sometime later it looked like this:

And eventually (much, much later) I managed to clean it up enough to be happy with it:

Now came the easy part - fitting the Storm Motorwerks gearknob, this simply slipped over the shaft and pushed down and was held in place with 2 grub screws at the front:

I then popped in the lighter blank:

And decided to call it a day - I still have the handbrake cover to fit, but that can wait until tomorrow as it's starting to get dark here.

Here's what was left of my BMW gearknob:

There goes any notion of recouping any of the cost back for the Storm Motorwerks gearknob!! LOL!!

Reactions: avneet07

·
Registered
272 Posts
I posted up recently about my recent purchase of my Storm Motorwerks gearknob, handbrake handle and lighter blank:

I figured today would be the day that I got round to fitting them as I had some time on my hands and I need to start whittling down the boxes of car parts I now seem to be collecting.

So after reading a few posts on how to remove it and checking on TIS (which suggests you need a force of around 400 NM to remove it) - I figured I'd set about it.

To put things in perspective - I wouldn't exactly describe myself as being weedy and certainly didn't think pulling a gear knob off would be beyond my strength or capabilities.

But I was yanking on this thing for 10 minutes solid and it would budge.. I tried all sorts of ways of positioning myself in the car (mindful of some of the posts regarding smashed mouths/teeth etc) and still couldn't wrestle the thing free... eventually I sat back to evaluate my strategy.. and it was then that I noticed that the stock BMW chromeline gearknob appeared to be separating slightly between the leather and the chrome backing. I had been pulling on it that hard that the knob was separating itself from itself instead of coming free from the shaft. It was then that it dawned on me that it was GLUED to the shaft - one of the previous owners in their infinite wisdom had used some sort of mega adhesive to bond it to the shaft!

Now that I was clear on how it was held on - and I was resigned to the gearknob being a total loss - I separated the front from the back and was then left with this:

I very carefully started chipping away at the adhesive and peeling it off methodically.. sometime later it looked like this:

And eventually (much, much later) I managed to clean it up enough to be happy with it:

Now came the easy part - fitting the Storm Motorwerks gearknob, this simply slipped over the shaft and pushed down and was held in place with 2 grub screws at the front:

I then popped in the lighter blank:

And decided to call it a day - I still have the handbrake cover to fit, but that can wait until tomorrow as it's starting to get dark here.

Here's what was left of my BMW gearknob:

There goes any notion of recouping any of the cost back for the Storm Motorwerks gearknob!! LOL!!
It looks like you have a bell end attached now, not to my taste, but each to their own!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like you have a bell end attached now, not to my taste, but each to their own!
lol - fair enough, not to everyones tastes.. but it's generally regarded as one of the best gear knobs you can get for the BMW - it's a fair bit shorter than stock and is weighted to help smooth out shifts as well.. excellent piece of kit IMHO! :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes it definately looks like a knob! LOL

Only teasing, if it makes you happy, then go for it.
Pity you had to destroy the original though, just shows you the length some people will go to with their cars. Ignorance, there's no excuse for it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I like the storm gearknob but the price terrified me :jaw-dropping

I picked up a used AC Schnitzer one from a forum member and i love it :thumbsup

Best 15 notes i've spent on my car to date :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like to look of that knob :lol

Would of been a pain to change gear if you'd have had to leave it in pic 1 :eek

lol! - could you imagine! :jaw-dropping:hihi

Reactions: Xmak 330d

·
Registered
649 Posts
Real shame the previous owner stuck it on, I have fitted a dark biege knob on my car to match my interior :D

That took quite a pull to get the old one off, still got my teeth. . :thumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow you proper murdered the old one :D
I prefer to think of it like it fell on its sword!.. honestly - I swear there is no place in car maintenance for 'No More Nails'.. that was what the stuff was like!!.. fair enough a little blob of glue on the top to hold it on.. but this stuff was cacked on the top and all the way down the shaft!..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I managed to get the Storm Motorwerks handbrake cover and button fitted today - took about 10 minutes (a lot less than I was expecting) - the original leather handbrake cover gave very little resistance and just slide off with a little side to side twisting action:

Then it was just a case of fitting the new handbrake cover and button:

some wider shots to put it in context of the rest of the interior:

Very happy with them!! - just need to get my custom gaitors sorted out now!! :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts