BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BFuk Mankini Crew Member #1
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys iv been thinking for the last couple of years about changing career and not done much in the way about it! At first my job was good all my mates tootled of to uni I went straight to work and earning 16k a year been working 6 years now and only earning 17.5k!
So I thought I could do better than this in my current job the only role I can take on that is better than mine is my bosses he has the highest role but two things!
A. It's the type of job were there are jobs that need to be done but aren't very nice so when he assigns them to a team people dislike it so he isn't a liked man!
B. He loves the job and won't be leaving till he retires in 20 or so years!
So about a year ago I finally did something and I applied to the fire service but I still haven't heard anything shifts are good 4 on 4 off and the money is ok think it topped at 35k but I new I wanted more money in the long run so my new plan is and I'm sticking to it (while in young and have the chance) is to train to be a chemical engineer! It consists of a year at a training school near me called tte and I get paid (only 11k) then it's two years at uni then into work it's guna be hard not earning for three years but in the long run it will be great! Ideas and suggestions welcome :)

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I say go for it, if your in a position to be able to get low pay and none while at university, I say go for now :thumbsup
I have a mortgage and other things, and I know I couldn't re-train, so your in a lucky position !

So whats this chemical engineering involve ?
Is it where you "accidently" drop acid on the worktop and watch it burn through ?

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what it involves hmmmm extremely flamable...... I wonder....... Click BOOOOMMMMM..... Oops! Haha and I am going to try and be in that posish come sept pay a few bills of as soon as I can so il be skint untill then but hopefully shot of all the bills by then!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Go for it gezer. U know u can do it

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
A few initial thoughts (apols in advance if they seem critical)
1. Are you sure what you really want to do as a career? There's a big difference between a firefighter and a chemical engineer?
2. The salary you quote as 'topped' in the Fire Service is as a 'friefighter' - they have a rank system for those that study further, display the necessary competence etc, so the earnings threshhold is much, much higher. I believe the applications:eek:penings in the FS is 20:1 though...
3. Although you current income may not be what you want, a drop of c30% is going to be hard. Why not research evening class, OU etc and stay where you are?
4. I'd think hard about the job prospects (this is the negative bit!). A lot of process based industry is still leaving the UK - North Sea Oil continues to decline and chemical plants etc now open up in low cost areas of the World. I have a couple of friends with good degrees in CE..........neither work in CE at all due to a lack of openings
5. I did my Masters at the age of 33....don't underestimate how bloody hard it is to go back to studying let alone at good degree level!!

You haven't said what you do currently?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I doubt you'll see any posts saying "don't do it" and this cirtainly isn't one of them.

If you're cheesed of with the current job now that feeling will only get worse with time,
don't look back in 10/15/20 years thinking IF ONLY.

perhaps you can subsidise the 11k with part time work or training grants, you'll be surprised what you can be entitled too,
a timely voluntarily redundancy is another cash option???

Good Luck :thumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Deffo do it mate :thumbsup

I was in a similar position to you... all my mates went to uni and I decided to work my way up in retail. I was on £18.5k @ 18 - nice! But then I was still on £18.5k @ 23 - not so nice! :hihi Couple of years ago however I got a lucky break, changed companies and last year I cleared £26k, this year will hopefully be even more... and I've got good progression opportunities as well so all good.

If in doubt, do it while you still can! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i am also in the process of a career change to a fire fighter. Unfortunately the opportunities dont come along very ofter so i am getting myself in the best possible shape for when the time comes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would say do it.

I am currently training to become a Marine and Electronics Engineer, which is three years at 15k training then 30k+ onwards.

The reason I would say do it, is that if you really want something then you can do it, it all depends on self motivation.

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright Neal mate yeh iv thought long and hard bud always thought it would be out of reach the fire fighter thing was just a fairly easy thing in a sence that i don't need to use my brain to get in as much as other jobs for that pay and the 4 on 4 off thing appealed to me and as for jobs my gfs dad is high up with agip and he's promised me a job after a year in london then il go to Milan and get my house payed for there as long as I do a year in London first which is great ad my gf wants to move country and i can't start till sept so in the mean time I am going to look into the night classes you mentioned and the uni Iv looked into the entitlements and there are loads 100 a month becouse I live with my dad and he earning below a certain amount and I also have my door card for night work on the doors and I'm a landscaper/gardener and will have loads of guvvy jobs to give me extra cash so I think I will be ok :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Train in h&s mate. Not that glamorous but very interesting and the legal aspect is good... I was 25 earning 40k plus benefits etc

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh hontoir I am very self motivated only reason I didn't do collage after school was becouse I fooked about in school that much showing of to mates and just been a tool all the time so failed school and never thought I could do it then work offerd me a gcse in maths and English so I took it I got 100% in my maths test and 92% in English after just 6 months at 2 hours a week learning the tutor even said to me that I had alot of potential it's the best maths score she has seen out of people with jobs like me and I should consider re training! That's when I started thinking!

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh h&s is something I'm thinking of doing as well on the side my gfs dad did his and before he got to where he is now he was the health a safety rep in his place of work and becouse of that he kept geting bigger and better promotions becouse he was showing alot of willing etc

·
Registered
503 Posts
I will always say to everyone the same thing, if there is nothing physically stopping you doing what you want to do then do it..

I have had three career choices destroyed on medical grounds and have had to go for something that I am still happy with but not top choice.

So if you are able to do it and want to do it then go for it!

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers mate there does seem to be alot of supper and like I said I have a job after (providing he is still there and everything goes to plan) but I'm really exited about it my job is very repetative for something I didn't like doing in the first place and to be honest if it wasn't for the bad climate at the min i might have just changed employer and stayed landscaping but becouse if the climate I'm in a safe job at the mo but wouldn't be sure if I moved so I stayed got sick and decided 100% on re learning

·
Registered
368 Posts
Go for it mate :thumbsup I want a change... But cant :frown

Been working alongside a gas crew this last week, sound lads, and as i showed such an interest in what they were doing, their gaffer offered me a job! :eek Now im fed up with my current job as a general builder, and the work climate isn't great for moving on, so i was well chuffed :D However... It would mean going back and re-training at college on an apprenticeship scheme, and dropping back on my pay. Now i only earn £11.5K a year as it is, and having financial commitments (£500+ a month on a loan, and lots of other stuff) i cant afford to earn any less :frown So i've had to tur the job down. I realy didn't want to, but im in no sittuation to be earning less than £10k a year. GUTTED!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Chemical engineering, trust me the Chemistry is really really hard. You'll have to spend hours researching and cramming info in to your brain. Have a taster before you commit to it fully IMO..

:thumbsup

And at the end of your degree what position do you want to achieve? Research/lab test etc? They won't pay more than 25k/year but if its what you like then go for it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Do a SWOT analysis.

I only ever get half way through them. I would put attention span in the "T" column, but that's near the end and I never get there.

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it all depends on what's available when I leave mate but eventually I hope to be a chartered chem which I know is a hell of alot of work to do that but see what happens as and when I finish uni il have a better idea when I've done the taster course before uni I reckon :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts