BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High all, after many years I've finally purchased a BMW. It's a F46 Grand Tourer 220d Automatic M Sport 2017 Model.

I've got a mechanical automatic gearbox with paddles near the steering wheel. I recently had to take it in for a service and the grand tourer that they gave as a courtesy car was a 2019 model and the gearbox was also automatic but not the mechanical one.

What I wanted to know was it possible to upgrade my gearbox to this electronic gearbox?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Not sure what you mean, have a look on realoem.com with your VIN to see if it declares what yours is actually called, and maybe at the BMW site build a new model and see what they call the different one you liked...

How do you think the gearbox might work if not mechanical?
It's probably how the gearbox is managed, unless bmw have gone all CVT on us :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what you mean, have a look on realoem.com with your VIN to see if it declares what yours is actually called, and maybe at the BMW site build a new model and see what they call the different one you liked...

How do you think the gearbox might work if not mechanical?
It's probably how the gearbox is managed, unless bmw have gone all CVT on us :)
Thanks for the response.
I'll check it out...I do believe it has something to do with the steptronic.

This is what I found online...

A new seven-speed dual-clutch Steptronic transmission will be available for the first time in the two models, the same unit from the new MINI models. Alongside you’ll find an eight-speed Steptronic transmission and six-speed manual. The 220i is fitted as standard with the seven-speed dual-clutch Steptronic transmission, the 225i xDrive and 220d with the eight-speed Steptronic.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
In which case, no you wouldn't be able to upgrade, it's more than the control method changing - it's the actual construction of the gearbox - I do believe that on some of the faster R Golfs they have something similar,,,
Sell one, buy a later one with the gearbox you like :)

Now who'd have thought that giving you a courtesy car with a new fangled gearbox could make you think "Ohhh like that" - I mean bet they never mean to do that at all :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response.
I'll check it out...I do believe it has something to do with the steptronic.

This is what I found online...

A new seven-speed dual-clutch Steptronic transmission will be available for the first time in the two models, the same unit from the new MINI models. Alongside you’ll find an eight-speed Steptronic transmission and six-speed manual. The 220i is fitted as standard with the seven-speed dual-clutch Steptronic transmission, the 225i xDrive and 220d with the eight-speed Steptronic.
Thanks again?.

I'll give buying another updated model a miss for now. I couldn't wait to get my vehicle back. The only good thing about the 69 plate tourer was the updated gearbox. ?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts