BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Ive recently purchased a 2005 535d M Sport, mapped to 340/460. Id been looking for and reading up on 530-535d for a few months before taking the plunge. I had a 7k budget but after reading up on the commont faults and things that would require doing, I decided to choose the route of buying a car with issues and spend the remainder of my budget doing the work that would inevitably need doing at some stage anyway therefore hopefully leaving me with a faultless car I can enjoy.

Having seen 535d M Sports for 6500-7000, I paid 5k for my car with 136k on the clock. It has the fluctuating rev problem, mpg is about 32 with a mix of urban and 70mph cruise, restraint fault with passenger seat.
I have 2k to spend and intent to do;

Replace all boost pipes
Replace 3 stats
Replace EGR valve
Replace MAF
Fit recon TC with oil change.

Bodywork is good, interior is good with no rips or tears and it absolutley takes off like a scolded cat. Brakes are excellent for a big car too.

With regards to my rev issues, the revs fluctuate between 1200-1700 pretty bad on light throttle, but when I lift my foot completely off the accelerator for a few seconds and let the car coast, then re-apply light throttle, the car runs fine for a few minutes but then the revs start fluctuating again.

Does this tie in with a failing torque convertor or does the fact the problem only seems intermittant suggest only the gearbox oil needs changed? Auto gear selection does seem pretty erratic, revs rising, gears changing up and down etc. Or would I just be best to do the lot in one go while I have the funds available just for piece of mind?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi regards to your gearbox issue a oil change won't help you'll need to get the TC recondition.

Give the egr a good clean and it should be fine unless you know there is a issue with it then replace it.

I would also get the swirl flaps out and get blanking plates fitted and while your doing this replace the crankcase breather, glow plugs and the control module for the glow plugs as these are also common failures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.
Swirl flaps were removed by previous owner. Ill add the glow plugs and module to my list

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Regards the rev fluctuations - it's not a given that the TC is at fault. Firstly most auto box places will remove the mech unit first and change out the common fault of the electric seal and pencil seals that fit above the mechatronic, in turn when replacing you'll fit a new mechatronic sleeve which will probably be leaking. They will also test the solenoids and replace if appropriate. I personally wouldn't touch the TC unless you really need to as its the most expensive part to replace by all accounts - most DIY people do one or the other, replace the TC and/or solenoids/seals - both seem to do the trick in 99% of cases for the rev flucts.

I'd also leave the 3rd gearbox stat unless you have particular temp issues - it's a waste of £200 which I seem to remember that part costing.

Crankcase breather on the 535D is the revised vortex item and NOT the cheap loo roll version in the 530D so this will be fine, just give it a check and a blow...

Glow plugs are most defo screwed, most are - use diagnostic to check... factor in these and the controller as failed plugs when replaced, normally send the controller to an early death.

I'd add cheap things like the lower boost hose seals, map sensor seals to your list. Also check the round casing at the front of the engine for oil leaks, above the EGR stat. This is common fault and you can't get a seal without buying a new vac pump, I took mine off and used high temp silicone - did the job nicely. Check the exhaust flex joint as these are prone to leakage and check the joints of the exhaust as these are now starting to fail on some cars requiring welding. Get the car on diagnostics and check your back pressures for the DPF, that may cost you a nice sum if it's on it's way out. Check the exhaust flap which aids the car getting up to temp, though minor. I'd also get a new set of seals for the inlet manifold whilst it's off for cleaning/glow plug replace.

things like EGR and MAF I'd leave too, waste of money changing unless you have problems - MAF's are expensive on these and not prone to going, EGR's often just need a good clean...

When replacing the vac pipes, be careful how you remove the old pipes from the rear Pressure valves, the nipples are plastic and very brittle...

tracking is worth checking, it's a heavy beast that can be bad on tyres if not set up correctly - this almost guarantees new track rod ends as they are prone to ceasing solid.

Be careful with your £2k, you can easily waste it on parts that don't need changing on these - there's always an expensive bit that you least expect to 'go'. I've spent well over £4k in parts, luckily my car was cheap when I bought it otherwise I'd be mortified...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the bouncing revs just as you describe. The following have been done and not changed it.

Gearbox oil changed, egr valve cleaned, new boost pipes fitted ( old ones were perished) & Stats changed.

I want to remap mine, as it's silly driving one of these standard but I dare not before sorting this bouncing revs issue.

Also mine has Irratic changes, holding revs. Even after a trip to london

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
sometimes just a software update can sort those auto problems out

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm just about to swap out the seals and possibly the solenoids in the next week or so to sort the bouncing revs, will report back. My first concern is the seal pictured at the bottom of this link, apparently and one of the most common failures in a 6hp26 gearbox, which ironically requires a replacement mech sleeve which is also prone to leakage - total cost in parts, sump and oil aside is about £20

Lake Norman's Luxury Auto Service and Repair | BMW, Mini, Mercedes, Land Rover, Volvo, VW, Audi, Jaguar, Cadillac & Saab Denver, NC 28037 | Autohaus Lake Norman

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just about to swap out the seals and possibly the solenoids in the next week or so to sort the bouncing revs, will report back. My first concern is the seal pictured at the bottom of this link, apparently and one of the most common failures in a 6hp26 gearbox, which ironically requires a replacement mech sleeve which is also prone to leakage - total cost in parts, sump and oil aside is about £20

Lake Norman's Luxury Auto Service and Repair | BMW, Mini, Mercedes, Land Rover, Volvo, VW, Audi, Jaguar, Cadillac & Saab Denver, NC 28037 | Autohaus Lake Norman

Yes please update

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. A lot of advice makes sense.

Got the car datalogged today. All fault codes cleared and none returned during a 30min drive.
Airbag light and seatbelt light illuminated but no faults could be found on any of the 7 airbag menus?

Engine temp was 83deg on tickover, 75 on road while driving. So looks like my stats will need changing.

When running through the data, the oil sensors in the box were reading low.
Also noticed a wet area where I park the car today so I suspect the box might be leaking

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
With temps like that just change both for the sake of £50 - go to BMW for the parts, patterns are about £3 dearer and hardly worth the trade off :O

The seat belt and airbag light is likely your seat occupancy sensor perhaps on the passenger seat, although that normally makes a bong noise when said person doesn't put their belt on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the fluctuating revs onm E61 535d,turned out to be an injector fault which fixed it until my remap was put back on (although it wasnever as bad as before). I also had the pressure converters replaced at the same time as the vacuum hoses which was a massive improvement

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have the bouncing revs issue on my 530d, was expecting it to be gearbox issue, as thats my luck at the moment, but disconnected egr pipe and its running smooth again! i assume this means egr is faulty or just needs a clean?

or i could just get it mapped out when they do my DPF and blank it off....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plugged the vcuum pipe. Slightly better but still bouncing. Altjough I do suspect low gearbox oil will have something to do with the problem

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I can't see how the EGR or lack of could cure this problem unless it changes how the car behaves and subsequently shifts its gears....

·
Registered
363 Posts
With temps like that just change both for the sake of £50 - go to BMW for the parts, patterns are about £3 dearer and hardly worth the trade off :O

The seat belt and airbag light is likely your seat occupancy sensor perhaps on the passenger seat, although that normally makes a bong noise when said person doesn't put their belt on...
£50 for stats from a stealer??? I was quoted not far of £100 last week for main and egr, told them to bugger off. Best I could find was 21 for a behr egr and 41 for a febi-bilstein main - cheaper at ecp but I wasn't going to go there...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Really?? They must have gone up massively! ECP used to be about £50, dealer was about £53 ish. I'd check with one more dealer if you can as some inflate prices on certain items I've found. That may still be the case but at least you'll know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts