·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking to but an E93 coupe and was wondering which to go for,
i am looking at used and have been looking at 325i and a 320 d
i know the 325i is around 215 bhp and the diesel is around 170 bhp
should i buy the petrol or buy the diesel and remap it?
opinions welcome on anyone who drives either etc..
many thanks
p.s
i do about 10k a year but the running costs are not too important but quiet like the option of tuning on the deiesl but would still like some refinement as all other bmw's i have owned in the past have been petrols
:thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
depends where ya gonna drive it ide say mostly motorways the sludger is the best bet ..

urban has to be the petrol cos yal just knacker a BMW sludger with urban driving ,too much heat, too much torque and a dirty fuel are not good bed fellows with urban driving and diesels..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
i was being more diplomatic so as not invoke a swarm of paranoid diesel locusts in here..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a 320d on loan for a month before i got the 325i. 320D way more economical than the 325i but the pertol car is good, i get about 30-35mpg most of the time. The six cylinder is more refined (straight 6's can't be bettered for NVH). Driving there's not a lot in it. why go to the bother & expence of remapping a 320D when you can have a standard 325i?

Personally I'd go the petrol route if fuel costs are not a major consideration.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Only downside I can really see is the sound, maybe. But other than that, a remaped 320d will be quite close to a stock 325i and will have better MPG's. Besides, diesel BM's got better and better. And I really can't see any shame in owning a 320d, it's a BM after all, so can't really associate it with "tight-fisted" people. I think we all know by now what owning a BM means, regardless of the fuel type.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
face the facts diesels are mileage crunching motorway and open road cars nothing more..

an average diesel urban use car is as stoopid as trying to cook kobe beef in a toaster..

messy,expensive and ulitimately a ruined product at the end of it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with DD, it all depends on how you use the car. If you do mostly town driving, then go for the 325i. It's a no brainer. I have a mapped 320d and get about 28-30mpg in town, mostly to and from work etc. About half my milage (around 8000) is town driving and to be honest, if I had the same choice as you now, I'd go for the 325i!

If you do alot of motorway miles, then get the 320d, remap it, you can get 220bhp and 330lb Torque, more power and performance than the 325i. But of course its not as smooth or doesn't sound as nice as the 325i.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts