BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Newbee, 1st post, new car E63 - any friends out there ???

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Spirit 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Just in the process of converting from Mercedes to BMW and thought I'd sign up here (instead of BMWLand ???). So my first post is to canvass how friendly and full of advice you all are. I've been active on other forums historically and know the immense value these are in getting help/thoughts or best practices so hope this will be the first of many :)

Firstly - my new car. I am so chuffed with the awesome spec. I've managed to find so here goes. BMW 635D, 2007

• Cream Beige Exclusive Napa leather
  • Sport automatic transmission,
  • Active Steering,
  • Model designation deletion,
  • Comfort Access,
  • Softclose doors,
  • Climate Comfort laminated glass,
  • Electric Glass Sunroof,
  • Exterior mirrors folding, auto dimming,
  • Highbeam Assistant,
  • Extended Interior Light Package,
  • TV function,
  • Navigation system Professional,
  • Headup Display,
  • BMW Assist,
  • BMW Assist online portal,
  • Voice Control,
  • Bluetooth phone prep + telematics,
  • DAB digital radio,
  • CD changer,
  • non Smokers package.

Not even picked it up yet as having a few things done straight away...........

• Full body wrap in Arctic White, inc. Carbon Fibre roof and wing mirrors
  • Eibach lowering kit, lowering 30mm all round. Wheel alignment to be done afterwards
  • M6 upper rear spoiler supplied and fitted
  • ECU upgrade and performance air filter

I guess my first question is.....

What do you think ? Any advice/ things to look out for/ other things that could/should/not be done. Are there any 6 series owners near Reading, Berks ?

Which ECU upgrade should I go for ? Autologic, Superchips, Angel Tuning (avoiding all the eBay common rail injector resistor solutions please).

Am thinking about using Berkshire Motor Works for general servicing etc. - any reports on them ?

Cheers and Happy Motoring.

David

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi David welcome to the best BMW forum. Im sure other members will be along shortly to answer your questions. Nice car, thats got to be worth a few bob eh!

#3 ·
Hi David and welcome on board :thumbsup

I'm sure other E63 members will be along shortly to offer their experience and advice but in the meantime I can tell you we have 4 tuners who are approved forum vendors,
all have rock solid reputations and are more than familiar with tuning/remapping BMW engines, Emaps and Endtuning are mobile, Motech and Bwchiptune have garage facilities :)

Motech:-http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f113/
Emaps:-http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f116/
Bwchiptune:-http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f120/
Endtuning:-http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f151/

Pics are virtually compulsory :hihi

#4 ·
welcome to 6ville david , only been here a few weeks myself & its pretty quiet compared to the touareg & 911 forums ive been on the last few years , definitely more traffic required , , perhaps we can assist there ? anyhow , the cars ,thought my 645CI was well specced but you got the top trumps with yours :lol mines factory standard on 19inch elipsoids (i love em , ,some hate em )
i didn't look at any diesels due to budget around £10k & its a weekender so low annual mileage , , how do they sound compared with the V8 petrol ?
not had chance for photos on mine but look forward to seeing yours , ,should look terrific

#6 ·
Well - what can I say guys - thanks for making me so welcome. Love the nod to 6ville and lol at sent from my Sega using electricity - might steal that one myself. Sounds like a fun forum.

Thanks for the advise on the tuners - will certainly look them up later today.

Is there any such thing as a 6 series meet that gets organised ? - If not I'd be more than happy to organise one, perhaps in the Spring ? Would be great to compare notes, cars and generally admire something common.

I'll certainly post the pictures when I've taken delivery of the car - tbh, am just moving it around between different fitters atm having the last few things done. Just said to the wife I'm getting quite excited about it which is the first time I've felt like this about a car since being in my teens......which was 25 years ago !!!

#7 ·
what car are you leaving behind ? we had a 520d sport tourer for 6 months lpreviously, ,couldn't get to like it & only got 28ish mpg town/41mpg best on motorway going steady , , probably went for wrong engine choice but it also felt harsh on the 18inch runflats , ,yet the 6 is on 19inch R/F,s & wafts along over all the bumps smooth as you like , also had 911 weekender which i thought was going to be impossible to follow , , the 6 has filled the hole with performance,style & extras for much less £££ ,
they are a real bargain buy right now

#8 ·
Hi Amw, Am just selling a Brabus E Class, still got a Brabus ML for the wife, kids and dog. previously various performance cars including an Esprit, GT3 and an RS6. Strangely enough I was considering a Carerra 4 Convertible instead of the 6 but for the exact same reasons as you (perf. style and extras) I took the plunge with the BMW. I also like to be a bit individual and I see so few 6's around compared to the 911.

Haha - clearly I love the German engineering with my last choice of cars !! - although the Esprit was a great laff and also had an awesome forum based following that made the entire ownership even more fun.

Interesting to hear about the wheels. My 6 has got the 10 spoke 19" with run flats - personally I prefer the 5 spoke design so may get around to asking if anyone wants to swap.........

And talking about a real bargain - my car is currently £90k new with this spec !!!, okay it's 4 years old but I've picked it up for £19k !! that is one hell of a depreciation for the one owner to swallow !!

#10 ·
Hi Amw, Am just selling a Brabus E Class, still got a Brabus ML for the wife, kids and dog. previously various performance cars including an Esprit, GT3 and an RS6. Strangely enough I was considering a Carerra 4 Convertible instead of the 6 but for the exact same reasons as you (perf. style and extras) I took the plunge with the BMW. I also like to be a bit individual and I see so few 6's around compared to the 911.

Haha - clearly I love the German engineering with my last choice of cars !! - although the Esprit was a great laff and also had an awesome forum based following that made the entire ownership even more fun.

Interesting to hear about the wheels. My 6 has got the 10 spoke 19" with run flats - personally I prefer the 5 spoke design so may get around to asking if anyone wants to swap.........

And talking about a real bargain - my car is currently £90k new with this spec !!!, okay it's 4 years old but I've picked it up for £19k !! that is one hell of a depreciation for the one owner to swallow !!

#11 ·
know what you mean on the german engineering front , ,switched 17yrs ago at 26 & now after 4 bmw,s,7,benz,s & 2 911,s i still think they make the best cars , had a passat estate 1,8t remapped as my daily workhorse for 5 years , ,owes me nothing , has done 150k yet still goes like a train & france in it 4/5 times a year is a breeze

#12 ·
welcome to forum!!
If you come to national meets, you'd be able to see a few 6ers but not that many. (even though our forums is known to have most 6ers I think?)
As far as I know, there is no 6er forum.
Very nice motor you got there, on 635D ECU upgrade will give you impressive (or rather completely different) improvement to it. (20~30% +bhp?)
torque will certainly be higher than the e63 M6,
535D with ecu upgrades gives 330bhp up to 370bhp so.. yours could become a monster..

again, welcome to the forum!!

#13 ·
Hiya,

It sounds like you are getting to do to your car all the bits i would like to do to mine. I have only been on here about a week myself so its nice to see the 6er section waking up a bit:) I would love to attend any form of meeting in the area as i too am used to the owners forum lifestyle as it were. Im only in bucks so not too far away.

This is mine / and the missus' 645ci with the M6 wheels, i would like to get the exhaust upgraded and lower it 30mm to get it a bit more squat on the road/ possibly an IMEX body kit. Thanks for looking :silly

#15 ·
WoW - what a gorgeous looking 6 - Silver was my first choice and those M6 wheels are the best ever !! - Hope that breakdown van was not for you ;-)

Also sounds like we've got the making of the first meet then !! - I reckon I'll be picking mine up in just over a week - spoke to the dealer today and all is on plan. However, still got to get the remap sorted. I quite like the idea of having more torque than a Mclaren F1.

Did your car come with the M6 wheels ? Or have you acquired them ?

#16 ·
The M6 wheels were on it when I purchased it the other week. The trader had a good point in saying that when there a a load for sale you need something to make your car stand out. It had the White tortoise shell effect trim but it's been taken out and a body shop has done it piano black which looks awesome with the black leather. It also has screens fitted in the headrests which is ideal for when we pop a sprog out!

I was originally looking at one of the big power BMW diesels but couldn't stretch the budget.

#17 ·
D4VSE

A question, where are you getting your car wrapped? and do you know how much the carbon fibre roof wrap is costing? i would imagine its all been factored into the final price for the whole car but i have been quoted £190 for my roof to be done in a textured matte carbon fibre. I'm guessing you will be posting up a few pics of it when its done so heres a photoshop of what i would like mine to look like in the future.
From the original pic to the edited one. Lowered, tinted windows, black roof, grills, window trim and the chrome thingy on the wing.Just subtle changes
Dan

#18 ·
Hi - it's being done here... Vehicle Wrapping by Surrey Vinyl Wraps - Contact next week. £1200 cash all in, including the roof, wing mirrors and the glass tinted. Photos will of course follow :)

Nice Photoshop btw. - you helped in more ways that one in fact...the mini in the background is in BMW white - I couldn't make my mind up whether to go for this (more creamy) or an Audi/Merc brilliant white. After seeing this I decided to go for the brilliant Alpine white - it's got a hue of blue in it so I'm told that makes it more 'white' so much for Persil ads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.