BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got myself a nice 2001 3.0i sport and am pleased as punch with it, except for the audio.

It would seem that the previous owner was doing something with the audio but im dammed if i can figuire out what. The car came to me with only the two front door speakers working and they were connected to one of those android aftermarket units, and it sounds terrrible. At full volume its not loud at all and yet upon inspecting the loom at the back it seems that nothing has been spliced or cut into, it has a connector and everything appears connected as it should. The only thing thats not right is there should be another connector at the back with a load of rca connectors attached, for the purposes of amp, sub etc. This is missing and i was going to try and amp the rear speaker using converters and splice into the wires coming out of the loom on the stereo. I tried this and nothing, so have ordered another unit, yes its another android unit, but all will be complete with this one.

The factory amp, if it ever had one, and it looks like it did, has long gone with the previous owner. But i am looking to find out what colour the speaker wires are in the car so i can splice into them from my amp. I would have normally run my own speaker cable into the doors but the socket in the door jam situation has kind of killed that idea.

No matter were i look on the internet, or real oem, or other parts checkers, i cant find out what colour the speaker cables are and where they are located so i can use them, And they dont sppear to be in the boot, unless ive missed something. Everyonw says about some wires and connectors in the boot, and i have about 3 i think, but i can compare with what was there before because i never saw it..

Anyone got any ideas?

Hope all are well

Phil

·
Super Moderator
3,208 Posts
Did it originally have radio on front or nav screen and radio module in trunk? Did it have basic (no additional amp) or Hifi or Top Hifi system (additional amp in trunk). You can check these with your VIN.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts