BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A'right folks, I'm new tae this Bimmer ownership thing, so go easy oan me fur the noo!! :lol

After owning 2 MINI Coopers over the last 4 years or so, the wife and I have finally switched to owning a 2007 320d SE (Auto) Saloon, which simply put, was the best car we've driven so far and the ideal choice of family transport, for when our new arrival comes in June!!

Anyway, unfortunately, it's currently sittin' oan some rather shockin' 16" standard alloys and 205/55 R16 tyres....I'm sorry, but I'm thinkin' they look a bit mince and are gonny huv tae go!! I was hopin' the experienced among you guys (and gals!) might be able tae advise on the best wheel size and style and also what tyre make and profile would match the new wheels??

I was thinkin' of 17's, so as not to destroy the ride comfort too much??

Anyway, yer help is much appreciated folks and look forward to hearin' back fae yeez!!

Cheers fur noo!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
IMO, go down the 18's staggered route (wider rear than front). Loads on ebay, replica styles.

Be careful with offsets(ET), for info.

Front, 8J wide get c37mm ET offset
Rears, 9J wide get c39mm ET offset

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the quick reply guys!! The 18's sound good, although would they definitely require an offset? What tyre sizes would you get away with, so that ride comfort/bump absorbtion isn't too bad? What width/profile run-flats could I use, for example, on say 18x8 wheels?? And what's the best brand of tyre....had Conti Super Contact jobs on our 2008 MINI Cooper...seemed ok??

Thanks again for the advice guys!! Appreciate any advice!!

Jimbo "My other car is a GSX-R600 motorbike!! LOL!!"

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Cheers for the quick reply guys!! The 18's sound good, although would they definitely require an offset? What tyre sizes would you get away with, so that ride comfort/bump absorbtion isn't too bad? What width/profile run-flats could I use, for example, on say 18x8 wheels?? And what's the best brand of tyre....had Conti Super Contact jobs on our 2008 MINI Cooper...seemed ok??

Thanks again for the advice guys!! Appreciate any advice!!

Jimbo "My other car is a GSX-R600 motorbike!! LOL!!"

Jimbo, the offset is what all wheels have and is the description put to the measurement between hub face and the centre line of the wheel. See here for diagrams;

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Tyrewise, 225/40x18 on an 8J Front, 255/35x18 on a 9J rear. I would be tempted to go non-runflat if ride quality is important, Conti's are a premium tyre so will be good. DSK on here is your man on brands, he will post soon no doubt in response.

Cheers, Mark (GSXR1000 K1)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fellow biker...nice one mate!!

Thanks for the offset info Mark, had a blonde moment thinkin' about that one!! :LOL Appreciate the tyre info too, that's the exact tyre sizes I was quoted from Skidz Wheels, Falkirk and like you, the bloke on the other end of the blower says non-runflats are a better option!! Says he can do 18" MV3 wheels (know anyone thats runnin' them...do they look ok??) with Khumo tyres, supplied and fitted for around £560...is that a fair deal?

Bein' a typical tight Scotsman though, I'm gonny haud aff 'till I get some advice fae DSK and see if he can save me a few quid?? :)

Once again Mark, thanks for takin' the time tae post mate and once the wheels/tyres are on, I'll post a pic...canny huv it posted wi' 16's...that wid be too embarassin'!! :LOL

Cheers mate and safe ridin'!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.