BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I do not own a BMW at the moment, but I am looking to get my hands on a used one at some point, so I have come to ask for advice from the people who drive them.

Which subforum would I post in to ask about maintenance costs and used cars?

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
852 Posts
Hi all,

I do not own a BMW at the moment, but I am looking to get my hands on a used one at some point, so I have come to ask for advice from the people who drive them.

Which subforum would I post in to ask about maintenance costs and used cars?

Cheers,
J
Hello and welcome. As above, what model are you planning on going for? Manual or auto? And for maintenance wise, always do an oil and filter change at no more than 10k miles for BMW engines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and Welcome.
So what model and year of BMW are you considering?
Thanks for your reply.
I’m actually looking at a couple of models. I am leaning towards automatic transmission and 2.0 diesel for all of them.

• 1-series 3dr 2014
  • 2 series coupe 2014
  • 3 series coupe 2012/2013

I’m currently looking at a 3 series that has 117k miles on the clock. I like the car and it felt fun to drive, but my main concern at the moment is yearly maintenance costs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome. As above, what model are you planning on going for? Manual or auto? And for maintenance wise, always do an oil and filter change at no more than 10k miles for BMW engines
Thanks for replying. All of the BMWs I am considering are 2.0 diesel automatics: 2012/13 3-series coupe, 2014+ 1-series 3dr hatch, 2014+ 2-series coupe.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
Happy to give feedback on my experience of a 2012 320d coupe (E92 model). It was an auto MSport Edition, had it for 2 years and 25K.

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
852 Posts
Thanks for replying. All of the BMWs I am considering are 2.0 diesel automatics: 2012/13 3-series coupe, 2014+ 1-series 3dr hatch, 2014+ 2-series coupe.
I had an e90 320d (n47 177bhp 2008) and I had just over 177k miles, all I can say is keep your oil and filter regularly changed 10,000 miles or yearly and 80k miles on the zf gearbox change and nothing can go wrong. Same with maintaining any cars

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what are maintenance costs, generally speaking? I don’t want to buy one and have it turn into a black hole for cash.

And what sort of mileage is too high (of course that also depends on how well it has been treated)?

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
Cost in around £350-400 for a gearbox fluid change if it hasn’t been done, says sealed for life but 80-100K seems to be the expectancy on the ZF6 boxes.
Local indie does oil/filter and micro filter (pollen) for around £140. After that it’s usual costs for any repairs such as glow plugs etc.
I found my E92 320d to be uber reliable, didn’t spend on anything but servicing. But then I bought a very well looked after example to start with.
Watch the alloys and tyres, 19” such as in the picture above are known weak alloys, they crack when driven over pot holes. Mine didn’t, but I’m careful to avoid them, some drivers just plough over holes regardless. Tyres get expensive on those sizes if you buy premium brands.
Great cars all round, loved mine to bits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cost in around £350-400 for a gearbox fluid change if it hasn’t been done, says sealed for life but 80-100K seems to be the expectancy on the ZF6 boxes.
Local indie does oil/filter and micro filter (pollen) for around £140. After that it’s usual costs for any repairs such as glow plugs etc.
I found my E92 320d to be uber reliable, didn’t spend on anything but servicing. But then I bought a very well looked after example to start with.
Watch the alloys and tyres, 19” such as in the picture above are known weak alloys, they crack when driven over pot holes. Mine didn’t, but I’m careful to avoid them, some drivers just plough over holes regardless. Tyres get expensive on those sizes if you buy premium brands.
Great cars all round, loved mine to bits.
That doesn't sound too bad. But I have heard that the diesel engines in the models I am looking at had some issues with the timing chain, which could be extremely costly should it go wrong.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
Think I’ve said this in another thread, if you search for engine problems in a particular car/model you will find them. The joys of the internet. Don’t forget that the vast majority of N47 engine owners won’t post their great experiences, so the problems always seem to outweigh the positive in such search’s.
The later versions, codes as N47T, had a much better reliability feedback. Some of the oil flow had been resolved.
The main issue was the stupidly long oil changes on the BMW service schedule.
Mine has the later version, and was as good as gold up until 88k when I sold it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. So there seems to be two types of people when it comes to the N47 engine. Some say: "Take good care of it, and it'll take you to the moon and back". Others say: "This engine will break on you. No exceptions".

I watched this video on a news report about the timing chain failures:
In the latter half of the video, the man says that he lost power steering and brakes on a motorway at 70mph. Not a situation you'd like to find yourself in.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
I did my research prior to buying the E92 with the N47T, found a good one with excellent service history, bought it, continued to maintain it and it was perfect. If you can buy the later version you can give yourself some peace of mind.
Or, if it worries you, find another engine variant to buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts