BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my heater hose that is directly under the intake manifold gasket and I can't get it to seal properly. When I squeeze the hoses that come off the expansion tank coolant just leaks out. Both O-rings are on and I bought the part directly from the closest bmw dealership. I can't figure this one out but I need to get my car back on the road as soon as possible. Any fixes or ideas I'm open to try.

·
Vendor
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the o-rings came with the part... i don't know if it's suppose to be under pressure or what but im going throw it back together and see what happens. The tip of the old one was broken off inside the manifold but i gently got it out and didn't harm it at all... I also noticed the o-rings were slightly smaller than the old ones and tried to go get some with a slightly bigger O.D. but they wouldn't fit. I'm stumped on this one unless it has to have pressure from the other direction or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got everything back together and I guess it had to be pressurized or heated to a certain degree. I drove it around and the coolant just dumped out but after i let it cool down a bit and refilled the expansion tank it held just fine... before when I would squeeze the radiator hoses you could hear it gurgle but after i ran it for a bit you could hear the same noise but only when I let go of the radiator hose not when I first squeezed it. still not really sure why that was happening but I'm happy im operational for the time being. If anyone knows why this happened I would appreciate a little explanation just so I can make sure I did everything properly and for peace of mind that it isn't gana fail anytime soon. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I lied it's still leaking and I'm pissed off at this stupid part… it's brand new from the bmw dealership and i called and asked a tech if i needed to dress it with any permatex product or anything and they said no. someone please help!!!

·
5,890 Posts
Did you put on the big circlips ?
BMW E38 Water-Cooled Alternator Repair
Go down to picture 14 and you will see the water pipe circlip that im talking about.
The guys finger is on it and this clip keeps the pipe in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts