BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Going to place an order for an E92 330i M sport, whats everyones opinion on the difference in ride quality and handling between the 18" and 19" wheels?

I think the 19's look much cooler but the roads around me are not that great, will they kill the ride?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I have 18" runflats on my E91 MSport and I think that the ride quality is good (firm, but compliant), however some feel that 19" is too much on the road (especially with runflats). "Choppy" was how one owner described the experience and I have other 19" drivers suggest fillings in teeth need to be replaced too:confused

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I had 19's on mine with Gen1 Bridgestone OEM RFT's and they proved awful. Poor ride quality, car moved off line with bumps and not least, 4 cracked rims. Longevity proved to be an issue too, 7k out of the rears was typical.
I eventually switched to conventional non RFT's and that resolved all the issues and at last gives a driving experience similar to how it should be. Wear rates proved to be half of that previously experienced. I am running Continental SC3's.
Saying that, the latest Gen3 RFT's are said to be a massive improvement.
Would I choose 19's again, yes, but then I like big wheels from an aesthetic point of view. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mark,

so from what you've heard do you think 19's with the new 3g rft's would be more like the 18's with the old ones, which everyone said we're ok?
All of the advertising for the m sport now is with 19's, I don't know why they would do that if it made the car terrible to drive, saying that the roads in Germany are bound to be perfect!
Is ther a difference in handling?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I cant compare with 18s but I have an 8 month old E92 with 19s and runflats. Ride is very firm but I feel nothing more than you would expect from a sports orientated car. It does tend to get a bit annoying on a badly potholed road but i'm talking about the worst 2% of roads not your average UK road. Feels absolutely fine on motorways and average to good road surfaces.
Some people complain about the over firm ride of MSport cars in general but I think they are the sort of people who may be better suited to a Lexus. I had a 24 hour test in an E92 SE and thought the suspension was too soft in corners.
Front tyres on mine wearing well , cant comment on rears as both have been replaced after being pierced by nails. Luckily I took out tyre insurance which has paid for itself already.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Im rolling on 19s on my E60:cool i have falcon fk452s all round an i noticed absolutely no difference watsoever to the ride quality or to driving pleasure. all it did was enhance my motors looks an street cred hahahaha:cool

·
Registered
189 Posts
My Mrs has 19's with RFT's on her '09 E92 320d Sport and personally I don't find it to be much firmer than my E46 320d Sport on 18's with non RFT's. Obviously this is subjective to individual taste but I've never found either car to be uncomfortably firm.....

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I think the issue with the over-firm ride has been partially addressed with newer Gen RFT's.
Have to be honest, I could live with the ride, not the potholes. My biggest gripe was the car being moved off line mid corner when you hit a bump when you were pressing on, that's the bit that moving off RFT's has totally resolved for me.
The thing to do is to run it as it came on RFT's and see what you think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts