BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to X5 ownership, have a few niggles I would like to sort.

1st the nav screen is stuck and very pixelated.
2nd the drivers side rear speaker doesn't have any sound
3rd the parking sensors do not work.

Not had chance to investigate anybody these issues just looking for advice on where to start.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Parking sensors - worth attacking with WD40 in the first instance as that often cleans them out and gets them going.

If that doesn't work, if you have diagnostics, it will tell you which sensor is acting up so you can check wiring harness and if needs be replace sensor.

If you don't have diagnostics, ignition (but not engine) on, put in reverse, and put your ear against each sensor. They should all make a clicking noise - any that don't are suspect (either the sensor or the wiring harness). Worst case, it can be the controller unit.

Not sure about your speaker - might be a wiring harness problem at the speaker itself (I'd take the door card off and re-seat the connection as a first step). After which, you're into checking the harness on the head unit in the front, and the amp/other units in the boot. Beyond that, it could be an issue with the amp or head unit itself.

Nav screens are replaceable - there are a lot of suppliers that supply them or do same day turnaround. But pixellation wouldn't explain 'stuck' so there may be another issue going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi evo,
Thanks for your reply.

When you say attack the sensors with s40, contour mean remove each one and spray it until it drips?

I have ordered a replacement head unit it's an aftermarket one but general reviews seem good.

Looking online I see the amps fail, I have also noticed that the volume seems to fluctuate so guessing the amp has failed/is failing.
So I'm on the search for a reasonable BM54 or an aftermarket version if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
He Geoff
Yep - spray onto until it drips then wipe it off. Just cleans them off and drives out moisture. Doesn't fix it every time, but quite often works so a no regrets move to try first!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will maybe try that tonight when I get home, got a can of WD40 in my van so got to be worth a try.
Have also ordered a diagnostic as feel I may end up needing one at some stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts