BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

It's been 8 years since I last owned an 8 series ironically. I had three 840ci around 2009-12. This evening I've bought a 1998 individual estoril blue with cream leather on 92,000 miles. I've not even seen the car in the flesh as I had a mate up north view the car (I'm in South London). Not quite sure when/how I'm going to collect it yet.

It was a bit of an impulse purchase as I already have an E39 M5 as well as a few other cars so going to have to make some space somehow. What I've heard of the car seems positive although I know it has cheap tyres which is a big no no for me. It's sitting on throwing stars. Am I right in thinking I need 235/40/17 front and either 255,265/40/17 rear? Any other options?

All my cars wear Michelins but I believe they are NLA in these sizes what's the options?

Here's a teaser pic until I get my hands on the car

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone.

It's been 8 years since I last owned an 8 series ironically. I had three 840ci around 2009-12. This evening I've bought a 1998 individual estoril blue with cream leather on 92,000 miles. I've not even seen the car in the flesh as I had a mate up north view the car (I'm in South London). Not quite sure when/how I'm going to collect it yet.

It was a bit of an impulse purchase as I already have an E39 M5 as well as a few other cars so going to have to make some space somehow. What I've heard of the car seems positive although I know it has cheap tyres which is a big no no for me. It's sitting on throwing stars. Am I right in thinking I need 235/40/17 front and either 255,265/40/17 rear? Any other options?

All my cars wear Michelins but I believe they are NLA in these sizes what's the options?

Here's a teaser pic until I get my hands on the car
Your car looks amazing!! It’s exactly how I want mine to look, even down to the polished lip on the alloys!

I’ve just changed all 4 of my throwing star alloy tyres. The only difference in size from what you have written is the front size I have is 235/45/17. For the tears I have 255/40/17.

Both front and back were Pirelli P Zeros.

Paid around £130 for rears and £100 for fronts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Recently I put 235 Michelin Primacy on the front and 265 Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear. The Pilot Sport were older stock but I was able to see the tyres before purchase and I don't cover many miles so I didn't mind.

This link to Timms E31 site will give you all the information on E31 tyre sizes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No problem. You can go 275 on the rear also, so there is some scope for different tyres, but I found Michelin were hard to get even in a 275.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and on the tyres front I've gone for Michelin PS4 front and rear in 235/45/17 and 255/40/17. Hope that sounds ok?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes. The correct size for the front is 235 and the rear is 265 but you can go 255, 275 or even 285.

The 8 looks good by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts