BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure whether to post this here or in the Introductions section. Probably both!

The good news is that I will take delivery of a 2002 330d this Saturday with a full MOT and tax. The bad news is that my fiance, in her longing for a bit of BMW action, seemed rather too eager to overlook a fair few niggles which would have had me leaving the car well alone rather than parting with a deposit. Ho hum, it was a lovely drive (the DMS remap helped.)

So - The niggle issue appears to be as follows:-

Both wing mirrors are "foxed" ie discoloured. The seller mentioned that the heating element may have burnt out. Looking on ebay it seems that these are a £10 DIY fix each. Does that sound right?

The reverse parking sensors dont work - one of the sensors looked a bit "ill". It seems this might be a cheap DIY fix as well if it is just the one sensor out?

Some of the lacquer (!) has peeled away - a fair bit actually - from the panel just behind the passenger door on the driver's side. Anyone have any idea how much this might cost to sort?

Finally, the two front windows go down but not up. I know this is a common problem - and suspect it is the regulator - but does anyone know how much it should cost to fix each assuming a non-BMW garage but one with a bit of skill?

Sorry for the long list of questions - Im sure that once I hunker down in the leather sport seat and begin the 150 mile journey home at the weekend I wont give a damn whether the rear parking sensors work or not. Thats what Im hoping anyway!

:hihi

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reverse parking sensors dont work - one of the sensors looked a bit "ill". It seems this might be a cheap DIY fix as well if it is just the one sensor out?
Had 2 out of 4 of my sensors (PDC units) pack-up following a trip to a jet wash a couple of weeks back, the dealer where I got the car - quoted me £90 per unit + labour.

Having posted a query on partsgateway website, I got quoted ~£60 for 2 PDC units (used) - which I will give a go soonish.

I know what your referring to (re: pdc's on ebay in ~£25 range) - but don't think you should be looking at these to be honest, seem like a cheap piece of equipment - and I bet you their sensors would not work with your pdc system anyway.

I'm not much help on your other questions, surely someone else will pick them up.

BTW, you will need to find out how many of your PDC units have actually packed-up, a trip to a local garage will do the trick once they run the diagnostics.

·
Registered
70 Posts
With the ignition 'on' but engine 'off' and reverse selected,the sensors 'tick' when you place your ear against them,a non ticking sensor is a duff one.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ebay ones have always been fine for me. There is a part number on your existing sensors, just make sure you buy the same one. They can be fairly easy to replace, depends on which bumper you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts