BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been looking around at e46 m3s lately and was wondering what sort of things to look for. something i heard here but cant find it anymore was the "running in time"-how do you tell if its been run in?, could someone shed some light on me? :confused

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hi, been looking around at e46 m3s lately and was wondering what sort of things to look for. something i heard here but cant find it anymore was the "running in time"-how do you tell if its been run in?, could someone shed some light on me? :confused
Not sure about the technical way to check thsi but there is a lot of talk about such cars not having the runnign ins ervice schedule stamped in the service booklets.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Think there was a post on this recently.. might be worth doing a search...think the general thoughts were you should def buy one that HAS had it done however imho if i saw the perfect M3 with a full BM service history but didnt have the 1200 mile service i would def still by it without hesitation... im looking at them to at mo and they seem to make a big deal of it but it wouldnt put me off if it didnt have it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
the posts were in this section of the forum as well (general), just sift through a few pages, it was only about a week or so ago if that we were discussing this very issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is important for every car to have a service no matter what, especially m3's as they are much more demanding.
Before I purchased my 325ci, I had a 320ci, I traded this car at BMW, and when they checked its history, it said that it hadn't had the run in service, and BMW basically said they wouldn't sell it on unless it had... in the end the guy at BMW rung the garage where the car was first purchased, and they had the record of it having had that service, and everything was ok.
I would recommend that you should be weary of an m3 that hasn't had this service, as every BMW has this service as standard, but if you are buying off a dealer then you shouldn't have any worries.

·
Registered
32 Posts
make sure it has the service would be my advice. Makes it easier to sell on in the future, plus you know the engine was all well and good, and if it wasnt, it was made all well and good.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
I'd give a car that had missed it's running in service a miss, especially on a car as highly tuned as a M3. With an M3 you either pay now or pay later!

How a car is run in will effect how much oil it uses for the rest of it's life.

Not sure what happens with modern oils and engines but in years gone by you used to use a really thin oil and would change the oil after a few hundred miles in case any metal particles from your new engine were dislodged and were working their way around your engine.

Ian

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i may be wrong but i thought the M3 came with an oil that supported the wearing in of the bores/rings and it needed changing to regular multi grade oil after this running in process.
not sure where i heard this,but if true,would make having this service done pretty critical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.