BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been trying it seams an endless battle to resolve a shaking issue when braking. I have joined this forum to seek help and hopefully get it resolved.

Bought a 2010 320d touring with motorsport kit and 18 inch wheels.
  • I bought it about 6months ago.
  • Previous owner sold it with new pads all round (old discs) and new front tyres.
  • When I wore the pads in the steering wheel started to vibrate.
  • I replaced the front discs and pads with brembo issue fixed
  • A vibration through the car started at speed greater than 60mph
  • Told it was rear tyres scallops due to incorrect alignment.
  • Changed the rear tyres and issue resolved.
  • The new brakes have worn in and the steering shake has come back
  • Went to a mechanic and told to replace front arms and thrust arms.
  • This was done and the shake reduced a lot but it is still there.
  • I am thinking either there is a steering rack issues, brake issue, or another joint failure.
Any help or direction would be great.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
easy things first,,wheel buckled?tyre misshapen?maybe balance weight come off?drop links?track rod ends? front lower rear control arm bushes?thats the one that fixed my e46 shake when braking?and worst of all the hub itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had both front tyres checked and aligned. Both are new Pirelli P Zero. Cost a small arm but have had both control arms also replaced. I have not had the hub done but I would have thought that would cause the issue all the time.

Another strange thing I have noticed and not sure if it is just me is that on light brake and the car is cold their is no issue but when they warm up the issue returns
Also noticed on medium brake when the car has warmed up sometime I get a pulse brake effect like one rotation on and one off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Check this mate:

https://youtu.be/83Pw3V8pMeI

If there's no movement at all that's good, given what you've said maybe have all the wheels inspected for in balancing and while the Alloys are off you could have a quick look for any welds that may have been done or buckles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello All,

I have been trying it seams an endless battle to resolve a shaking issue when braking. I have joined this forum to seek help and hopefully get it resolved.

Bought a 2010 320d touring with motorsport kit and 18 inch wheels.
  • I bought it about 6months ago.
  • Previous owner sold it with new pads all round (old discs) and new front tyres.
  • When I wore the pads in the steering wheel started to vibrate.
  • I replaced the front discs and pads with brembo issue fixed
  • A vibration through the car started at speed greater than 60mph
  • Told it was rear tyres scallops due to incorrect alignment.
  • Changed the rear tyres and issue resolved.
  • The new brakes have worn in and the steering shake has come back
  • Went to a mechanic and told to replace front arms and thrust arms.
  • This was done and the shake reduced a lot but it is still there.
  • I am thinking either there is a steering rack issues, brake issue, or another joint failure.
Any help or direction would be great.
Could be a coincidence that the old discs were warped and you've managed to warp the new ones whilst waring your pads in or possibly something as simple as the weights in the wheels being slightly off, that can cause problems like you are describing

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I?m interested in this too. Your situation (pads, tyres etc etc) is identical to mine.
I?m having the old front pads replaced at the weekend in hope that it sorts it. As you described it?s certainly worse when things have warmed up.
Wouldn?t mis balanced wheels cause it to occur all the time rather than on braking only??

·
Registered
292 Posts
warprd discs all day long !! had the exact same issue i managed to warp the new discs some how ? but replaced again been fine since hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the pointer. I?ll sort the discs Friday and report back.
Why would they warp and get progressively worse over the last few wks???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses.
I am going back the mechanic on Friday to get the automatic gearbox fluid changed. Lets leave this head ache for another discussion...
I have asked him to check the brakes. So I am thinking checking the hose, bleeding, calliper binding, disc surface.
Will provide update after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay work gets in the way.
Went back to the mechanic and they were not much help.
I have also been looking on the forums and the suggestion was to check if there is paint on the wheel which faces the disc.
So I have bought a trolley jack and wrench and to my surprise there is paint.
After using drill and wire bush they are now all clean but now wondering what about the disc to hub and checking the caliper pins?
Then will get the disc skimmed. Any ideas on where to go in the Birmingham/Coventry area and how much?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the money pit continues....

purchased new brembo disc on the euro car parts sale for 78 and will fit when I get some good weather.

Shator - did you use silicone grease on the pins?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update to my issue.... replaced front discs (pads were already new). Problem solved.
As others already said.. with those symptoms. New discs resolved it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shator - did you use silicone grease on the pins?
Nope, I used some ATE plastilube which is used to lube up the back of the pads, as i didn't have any other lubricant at hand at the time. Though I'm not sure it is suitable for this application, no problems since (3 months/2000 miles)
Also cleaned the guide pins from some light oxidation. I changed my front discs and pads (both ATE), before I had a lot of steering wheel shake when braking from 90mph and over, all of the shaking disappeared after the disc/pad change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exact same thing on my car replace the front discs and the vibrations stopped. They were seriously corroded. Took my time ensuring everything was nice and clean before putting it all back together. I can second the use of ATE lube and its available at europarts where i got all my bits

1 - 19 of 19 Posts