price range is from around 05-08 plate

so looking at the E53 BMW X5, the L322 Range Rover and the MK1 Porsche Cayenne

reliability is important to me more then performance

im looking at a petrol so has to be ULEZ Free

any help would be appreciated, many thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
X5 would get my vote - and is precisely what I did a couple of years ago except I went for a 2004 3.0d (no ULEZ issues for me or at least sufficiently rare not to worry about it). My field of choice was the same as yours.

Running costs and general reliability of the L322 frightened me off. Ditto the Cayenne - the point being that the E53 is relatively benign to work on/with and parts are reasonably sensible with plenty of breaker parts available and independent expertise which would have been a concern with the Cayenne.

If you love the whole Rang Rover experience and want the last word in off road then your decision's made. But absent that, X5's a winner. I rationalise them as a continuum between estate car and Land Rover Defender. You get a 5 series touring at one end; Audi All Road/Volvo XC70; X5; Range Rover; Disco; Defender. If you view the X5 as an All Road with better engine choices, fuel economy, ground clearance, and towing capacity then they start to make more sense. But they're not proper mud pluggers - great pavement tow car though, and with winter tyres on up with the very best up to their axles in the stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X5 would get my vote - and is precisely what I did a couple of years ago except I went for a 2004 3.0d (no ULEZ issues for me or at least sufficiently rare not to worry about it). My field of choice was the same as yours.

Running costs and general reliability of the L322 frightened me off. Ditto the Cayenne - the point being that the E53 is relatively benign to work on/with and parts are reasonably sensible with plenty of breaker parts available and independent expertise which would have been a concern with the Cayenne.

If you love the whole Rang Rover experience and want the last word in off road then your decision's made. But absent that, X5's a winner. I rationalise them as a continuum between estate car and Land Rover Defender. You get a 5 series touring at one end; Audi All Road/Volvo XC70; X5; Range Rover; Disco; Defender. If you view the X5 as an All Road with better engine choices, fuel economy, ground clearance, and towing capacity then they start to make more sense. But they're not proper mud pluggers - great pavement tow car though, and with winter tyres on up with the very best up to their axles in the stuff.
well to me reliability is a bit thing for me over performance,
i am leaning towards the bmw x5, seen a 4.4i petrol which i interested in

ive always lurved the range rover but the worry about things going wrong is such a headache if im being honest

the idea of getting a porsche sounds cool but the thing that i thought as that parts would cost a lot and getting mechanics who know and understand the car might be hard work

·
Registered
830 Posts
One other thought - at the age range you're talking about watch out for the 2006 change over to road tax.

Apologies in advance if you know all this - sharing as it transpired to be an important factor in my deliberations...Exactly the same vehicle can be nearly twice as expensive to tax each year based purely on an arbitrary date cut off. Up to a 23 March 2006 registration date the tax is ring fenced at a lower band even if the actual CO2 emissions were higher. So watch out if your specimen is post 23 March 2006 as can make quite a difference to the annual wallet kicking.

See here for the current rates: Vehicle tax rates

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thought - at the age range you're talking about watch out for the 2006 change over to road tax.

Apologies in advance if you know all this - sharing as it transpired to be an important factor in my deliberations...Exactly the same vehicle can be nearly twice as expensive to tax each year based purely on an arbitrary date cut off. Up to a 23 March 2006 registration date the tax is ring fenced at a lower band even if the actual CO2 emissions were higher. So watch out if your specimen is post 23 March 2006 as can make quite a difference to the annual wallet kicking.

See here for the current rates: Vehicle tax rates
yea thats true i noticed the newer shape from 07 onwards does cost more on road tax too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts