BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an experts report on a BMW steering pump which failed. Actually, you don't need to look at the pump, I just need an expert who can say that overall a steering pump should last ten years.

Anyone help?

I'll need details of your qualifications, as it's for a court case.

·
Registered
223 Posts
not being funny, but no a power steering pump probably wont last 10 years, mine went at 7 years.

its one of those parts which may last 3 years or it may last 30 years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think you'll get anyone to say that in any legal case, personally. Power steering pumps can last ten years, but normally less, and a lot less (down to possibly even weeks!) if you run them low on fluid or use fluid of the wrong type.

If I had a ten year old power steering pump on any car which was quiet and worked perfectly, I'd consider myself pretty lucky. :thumbsup

Unless the pump clearly states that it comes with a ten year guarantee, I can't see how you'd have any leverage in a court situation, as it's an easily replaceable moving part which after a few years becomes just another service item.

If it crapped out after a few months though, I'd be chasing for my money back like a ferret down a Dutchman's trousers. :rofl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts