BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to BMW's. We have a 316 Compact M Sport but as my wife is pregnant we need a 4 door reliable and safe bimmer, without sport suspension unfortunately. We both like to drive and like a bit of performance so a 2.0L or bigger engine is required. 6 speed gearbox preferable but not as important. We will be spending up to about £8k but if the sweet spot for used sales is a bit higher then we can stretch. Or is it better to spend £4k on a higher mileage (90k+) example and then spend £1k on bits to bring it up to snuff? So what would you say is the best option, bang for buck wise? A high mileage newer model or a lower mileage older model? I've seen adverts such as

2001-BMW-330-sport-saloon

and

ebay example 2

as examples. Seem to be a lot of good deals, but looking at recent threads you guys are finding good cars for silly money. Help me spend mine!

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Ryan,

Don't be worried about 2 doors and an addition to the family. My wife and I had 2 doors throughout and still do, my lad is now 11.

Friends and family nagged us to get sensible 4 door cars and we both resisted. The larger front doors on 2 doors actually give easier access to the back seats when strapping children in, and you learn to take what you need, not what you think will ease you through a nuclear holocaust.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to BMW's. We have a 316 Compact M Sport but as my wife is pregnant we need a 4 door reliable and safe bimmer, without sport suspension unfortunately. We both like to drive and like a bit of performance so a 2.0L or bigger engine is required. 6 speed gearbox preferable but not as important. We will be spending up to about £8k but if the sweet spot for used sales is a bit higher then we can stretch. Or is it better to spend £4k on a higher mileage (90k+) example and then spend £1k on bits to bring it up to snuff? So what would you say is the best option, bang for buck wise? A high mileage newer model or a lower mileage older model? I've seen adverts such as

2001-BMW-330-sport-saloon

and

ebay example 2

as examples. Seem to be a lot of good deals, but looking at recent threads you guys are finding good cars for silly money. Help me spend mine!

Thanks

Ryan

HI Ryan

Well, the links you have posted are to 2 very differently priced and aged cars!!! but both are cracking buys at the moment :)

I personally would say go for the newer shaped 330D, mainly because I think they are a stunning looking and driving car.

Having said that, parts are cheaper for the 330 petrol....as the ultra modern diesel engines use some expensive direct injection technology..

but they are very reliable having said that :hihi

ok, to end the confusion, I would say personally to buy the newer car as long as it is POST 2004 320D or 330D as the models before this were prone to destroying turbos and killing their engines..

But either will serve you very well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
nice reply mark. i would go for a higher mileage 90k+ as long as you don't mind bringing it up to snuff. 1k on bits assuming you have the main things in place is a decent amount of spend and could possibly give you another 80k+ of good motoring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan,

Don't be worried about 2 doors and an addition to the family. My wife and I had 2 doors throughout and still do, my lad is now 11.

Friends and family nagged us to get sensible 4 door cars and we both resisted. The larger front doors on 2 doors actually give easier access to the back seats when strapping children in, and you learn to take what you need, not what you think will ease you through a nuclear holocaust.
That's very interesting, hadn't considered a 2 door could be easy for the kiddies. The next time I see a mum in the car park with a 2 door bimmer I will run up and ask if I could strap the kid in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI Ryan

Well, the links you have posted are to 2 very differently priced and aged cars!!! but both are cracking buys at the moment :)
Yep that's the conundrum, there is a wide variety of metal out there, which is the "best".

I personally would say go for the newer shaped 330D, mainly because I think they are a stunning looking and driving car.

Having said that, parts are cheaper for the 330 petrol....as the ultra modern diesel engines use some expensive direct injection technology..

but they are very reliable having said that :hihi

ok, to end the confusion, I would say personally to buy the newer car as long as it is POST 2004 320D or 330D as the models before this were prone to destroying turbos and killing their engines..

But either will serve you very well.
Ok, good info, thanks.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If you don't want sport suspension, you may be quite hard pressed to find something BMW wise. Even non sport model BMWs (models dependant) are fitted with factory sport suspension and the 330i on you list is .........

However, BMW usually get the firmness of the suspension right along with tuning it to be compliant on the road, whereas other manuacturers leave you with a choppy ride.

Personally I'd say try to get the lowest mileage BMW 330i or even, for better value probably, look at the E39 530d/530i sport! The E39 will be a much more comfy car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ryan I have just bought a 53 5 series. There are a few higher mileage (70-90k) 5 series around for between £8-9k in the new shape.

Something like this...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2006&vehicleRegLetter=06

I was on the verge of getting a 530 old shape (51 plate) when I found the one I have now. I think the older shape models are excellent value - you can get a 80-90k miles one for £5-6k. Use the change to buy baby gear and give the car a good service.

Like this...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...hicleYearOfManufacture=2002&vehicleRegLetter=

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ryan I have just bought a 53 5 series. There are a few higher mileage (70-90k) 5 series around for between £8-9k in the new shape.

Something like this...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2006&vehicleRegLetter=06

I was on the verge of getting a 530 old shape (51 plate) when I found the one I have now. I think the older shape models are excellent value - you can get a 80-90k miles one for £5-6k. Use the change to buy baby gear and give the car a good service.

Like this...

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...hicleYearOfManufacture=2002&vehicleRegLetter=
Ya I like the older shape too. And that is good value!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts