BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so hello everyone.

I cant seem to find the absolute specific answer to this question so I'll ask away. If there is an answer please direct me.

I've recently purchased a 2011 318d from my company. Business edition and it was a bargain in really good condition £250....

I want to run this car for years to come but I am a little worried about the timing chain problem. Yes I know it was cheap car but still I wouldn't want it to go.

It's done 153k miles. Fully serviced and I've just serviced again it runs super smooth. How worried should I be if this work hasn't been done? Wouldn't the chain have gone a long time ago if it was faulty??

Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
225 Posts

I cant seem to find the absolute specific answer to this question so I'll ask away. If there is an answer please direct me.

I've recently purchased a 2011 318d from my company. Business edition and it was a bargain in really good condition £250....

I want to run this car for years to come but I am a little worried about the timing chain problem. Yes I know it was cheap car but still I wouldn't want it to go.

It's done 153k miles. Fully serviced and I've just serviced again it runs super smooth. How worried should I be if this work hasn't been done? Wouldn't the chain have gone a long time ago if it was faulty??

Thanks

Jack
Hello and welcome! If the chain was to snap, it would’ve done so between 20k-120k miles. Keep on top of your oil service, ideally between every 8k-10k miles. You’re engine will last past 200k miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome! If the chain was to snap, it would’ve done so between 20k-120k miles. Keep on top of your oil service, ideally between every 8k-10k miles. You’re engine will last past 200k miles
Thank you... Seemed the best place to sign up to. Thanks for reply! I mean other than oil changes every 7-8k there's not much else I can do is there? Apart from paying a ton to get a replacement? Am I also right in thinking the later models weren't too bad?

It's crazy for 153k it's got all the power there. Turbo is sweet as a nut too. Should have gone bmw sooner.

Cracking deal at 250 though. Can't turn that down. Second owner from new aswell.

Jack

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
225 Posts
Thank you... Seemed the best place to sign up to. Thanks for reply! I mean other than oil changes every 7-8k there's not much else I can do is there? Apart from paying a ton to get a replacement? Am I also right in thinking the later models weren't too bad?

It's crazy for 153k it's got all the power there. Turbo is sweet as a nut too. Should have gone bmw sooner.

Cracking deal at 250 though. Can't turn that down. Second owner from new aswell.

Jack
All you can do is keep on top of oil service. Has the previous owner kept upto date the the servicing? When the chain snaps, its an engine out job. At £250 you can not complain about that, got yourself a deal ;)

that’s correct, later models no where near as bad.
Have you looked into your hidden menu? You’ll be covered with a 12 year anti corrosion warranty from BMW from the first date the car is registered

·
Registered
420 Posts
It was mostly 2007-09 cars that had the dodgy chains. Post 2010 builds seem to be fine and should present no issues if properly serviced, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Out of interest, if there are no major issues with the car, why did they give it away for a song? £250 is crazy cheap!.... Suspiciously so in fact (not wishing to sound cynical, but you know the old saying!) :sneaky: haha.
Enjoy your new wheels!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was mostly 2007-09 cars that had the dodgy chains. Post 2010 builds seem to be fine and should present no issues if properly serviced, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Out of interest, if there are no major issues with the car, why did they give it away for a song? £250 is crazy cheap!.... Suspiciously so in fact (not wishing to sound cynical, but you know the old saying!) :sneaky: haha.
Enjoy your new wheels!
Thanks for the reply :) it was just a favour really -they buy the company cars brand new so they have already lost most of the money on them - so they would rather just help an employee out that needs it.They do it with all the company cars.

FSH on it too - runs perfect - chain isn't noisy.

Its not what you know.... Its who you know ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All you can do is keep on top of oil service. Has the previous owner kept upto date the the servicing? When the chain snaps, its an engine out job. At £250 you can not complain about that, got yourself a deal ;)

that’s correct, later models no where near as bad.
Have you looked into your hidden menu? You’ll be covered with a 12 year anti corrosion warranty from BMW from the first date the car is registered
Thanks so much! ill just keep on top of the oil changes then!

As ive put below - they practically give the ex company cars away!! Giving something back to the employees i guess.

Thats made my 2021 already...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply :) it was just a favour really -they buy the company cars brand new so they have already lost most of the money on them - so they would rather just help an employee out that needs it.They do it with all the company cars.

FSH on it too - runs perfect - chain isn't noisy.

Its not what you know.... Its who you know ;)
P.s - I got lucky because the last one was a golf :LOL:

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks

Jack
I've seen these engines running an original chain right up to 180000miles but that requires good oil maintainance from day 1 best do oil changes every 5000 to 6500 miles and quality full synthetic oils ie motul castrol mobil1 shell helix fuchs etc 5w30 full syn key thing to tell that chain needs doing soon is the timing chain cough from the back of the engine bay from cold start if the engine starts doing this on a regular basis its time to get the chain done

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well I've heard of employee benefits, but not like that! You landed on your feet there mate. Don't mind admitting I'm a tad jealous haha!
Keep those oil and filter changes regular (ignore the service computer!) and it should have many years of life left in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As others have said on here numerous times already, regular oil changes are the single most important thing you can do on these engines to reduce the risk of chain issues. I’ll change mine once or twice a year, and I do no more than 10k a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts