BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here is an update guys.

My car failed its mot today because of a few defects and the one of them is because my 'exhaust is emitting visible smoke' and an emission test was not done, it looks like the DPF is causing this and so im not having to tackle the DPF first, i will do the manifold soon too, in the last few days my exhaust backpressure has been getting higher and my car is getting less power than before, the recent regens are not helping too, i have ordered a pressure washer which should arrive tomorrow so i will deal with the DPF tomorrow, is it worth using a cleaner of some kind too?

My car also failed on the handbrake efficiency so hopefully adjusting the shoes will do the trick and i also need an offside track rod end as well. So i hope the DPF cleaning will fix my exhaust smoke problem and also return some of the power i am missing. When i rev my engine it goes to 1.3 bar, is this very high?

The 419B ambient pressure sensor fault code has not returned for 6 days now, fingers crossed its gone. I replaced the maf sensor a few days ago i dont know if that has helped with that code. The maf did seem to really help but i think the DPF problem has taken away anything that was gained with the new maf sensor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your back pressure sounds way too high and this was probably made worse by your recent issues with other sensors
causing imbalance in exhaust emissions.
If you can successfully clean the dpf then hopefully it will regenerate ok now youve sorted the original faults.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Your back pressure sounds way too high and this was probably made worse by your recent issues with other sensors
causing imbalance in exhaust emissions.
If you can successfully clean the dpf then hopefully it will regenerate ok now youve sorted the original faults.
Thanks for you reply. Yeah i think what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I tried to remove the dpf but i failed, its easy enough to access but the bolts are very badly rusted and a wire brush is not helping, i cant get the tools to fit properly because of the rust, there is 2 flanges fitted either side of the dpf and they have 4 bolts each and these have a nut which needs a spanner on it too, the first bolt broke and it was one of the easy to access ones, i think they need a grinder or a power tool to remove them, my car gets parked in a residential car park and getting any power tools there is not really possible. Im now thinking i will have to pay to get the dpf removed and cleaned.

I kept on getting the 480A and 4507 and yesterday i had to drive 370 miles, the car finally done a routine regen and then i forced another 2 regens, i put dpf cleaner my tank too. This had made the car drive well again for now so it proved how badly the dpf is affecting how badly my car is running. The codes have gone too and i will keep doing regular regens to try and keep the car going for the short term.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Any updates?

Hi mate. There was a few things i ended up changing but it seems some of the fault code were making the DDE disable the pressure converter and egr. I did need a new egr valve, exhaust pressure sensor and clean out the manifold. There was a spiral insert missing from the bottom of the air intake pipe, i removed it as it was crumbling, i bought a good used pipe and this seems to help the turbo spooling at low revs.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts