BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I purchased the car with a small oil leak and I sort of accepted it as it is only small but I want to fix it.

This is where the oil appears to be coming from as there isn't any oil residue above them.

Google says they are camshaft control valves. Is that correct?

Also the far has 0 fault codes so I don't think they're bad.

Could it just be the o rings? Are they easy to replace?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
372 Posts
Set of proper o rings from BMW are about £6 and are green if I remember correctly. Clean up the area first, unclip cable from the first one (I suggest top first) undo the single 8mm bolt (I think) that holds it in then wiggle it out. Make sure the o ring comes with it, if not scoop it out.... don’t poke it into engine by mistake!. Replace o ring with new, clean up valve and reinsert. Repeat with bottom one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. I've got one solenoid coming with the o rings for cheap. I thought I might as well change them whilst I'm there. I'll also test them with a 9v battery and some crocodile clips to make sure they are actually working.

Can you just call BMW and order the parts of you have the part number?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I've never actually ordered from a main dealer 😂

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes ask for parts department and then for what you need. They’ll ask for your reg and confirm correct parts. You should be able to pay/collect at the dealers as well (and order there also if you drop in, you don’t have to phone but worthwhile at the moment given restrictions etc). Cotswold BMW are site supporters and give a forum discount and will post to home.

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
Your oil leak is coming from higher up
Rocker cover gasket or oil filler cap or split oil when topping up the engine
if the above has not already been changed

BW chiptune

-Tuning BMWs since 1991
-Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
-Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
-New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day
-Key data fixed in EWS or CAS for non starters or when theft attempted.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
-DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal
-40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your oil leak is coming from higher up
Rocker cover gasket or oil filler cap or split oil when topping up the engine
if the above has not already been changed
Agreed, but if changing the o-rings Id' say change both inner ad outer rings. Not like the previous owner of mine who decided to use sealant instead ...

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
Agreed, but if changing the o-rings Id' say change both inner ad outer rings. Not like the previous owner of mine who decided to use sealant instead ... View attachment 270466

The amount of times we see things like this with rocker cover gaskets I’ve lost count

There’s a so called mechanic/garage near us who instead of changing rocker cover gaskets that are leaking or gone hard uses loads of silicone sealer gaskets instead of fitting new gaskets

As we keep getting people coming to us for a quote to change the rocker gaskets on there bmw
Then then tell us they can get it done for £45 including parts and we tell them we can’t buy all the gaskets parts for that price

Then a few months later these people come back to us and ask us to look at there oil leak and we find there is loads of silicon sealer everywhere
and we show them this is what you get from someone who charges £45 so take it back to who did it and ask them to do it properly

The customers say they have and been threatened with an iron bar

The last one we did took 3 hours to remove all the Silicon sealer from the Rocker cover and inside the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
402 Posts
My engine front looks just as grubby, not got around to cleaning it yet. It does look wet around my vanos though. Though my main concern is puff of white smoke passenger side. Behind alternator you can see pockets of oil. It's not the oil separator or oil filter housing. Dont know what else on that side

·
Registered
47 Posts
Then a few months later these people come back to us and ask us to look at there oil leak and we find there is loads of silicon sealer everywhere
and we show them this is what you get from someone who charges £45 so take it back to who did it and ask them to do it properly

The customers say they have and been threatened with an iron bar
Wot?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My engine front looks just as grubby, not got around to cleaning it yet. It does look wet around my vanos though. Though my main concern is puff of white smoke passenger side. Behind alternator you can see pockets of oil. It's not the oil separator or oil filter housing. Dont know what else on that side
I'm no expert but shouldn't white smoke be coolant rather than oil? I had it from the back of the engine last year and it turned out to be the plastic blanking plate (#17 in Cylinder Head Attached Parts).

Pockets of oil - if neither CCV nor oil filter casing, maybe leak from pressure switch?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm no expert but shouldn't white smoke be coolant rather than oil? I had it from the back of the engine last year and it turned out to be the plastic blanking plate (#17 in Cylinder Head Attached Parts).

Pockets of oil - if neither CCV nor oil filter casing, maybe leak from pressure switch?
I'm pretty sure its oil burning, it's not a sweet smell. Did the plastic blanking plate cause smoke on the passenger side?or in the middle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts