BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
N 1995 E36 conv 320i engine conver to 3500cc please help

Hi Guys
Right have just put my jag up from sale in the wish to upgrade the engine in my car, which engine or model would you think best, have looked at M3 engines but to expensive, was thinking my be a 535i or 735i engine and box, anyone no the bhp for this unit and would it be an easy fit, am half sensilbe at mechinics, please any help would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys
Right have just put my jag up from sale in the wish to upgrade the engine in my car, which engine or model would you think best, have looked at M3 engines but to expensive, was thinking my be a 535i or 735i engine and box, anyone no the bhp for this unit and would it be an easy fit, am half sensilbe at mechinics, please any help would be great.

Cheers
The engine from the 540 is also an option :thumbsup-this has been done before but one thing amongst many is you need to put in a drysump-not a problem though

·
Registered
7 Posts
yep the 540 is a 4.4 V8-superb engine.

Best person to speak to would probably be A20RYM as he has done an M3 engine conversion.
You can get more out a 328 engine by getting the proper manifold and remap etc.German insurance laws meant they restricted it to be below 195bhp but it can be a lot more than this-this is onlly 3 bhp more than the 325 which can also be increased with remapping etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't looked into putting an engine and drivetrain into an e36 from a 5 or 7 series I am pretty sure that it would fit, but don't forget M30/M60 engine was never stock installed in the e36, I may be wrong but the I think it's a different tranny too.
I would advise caution, you may have issues with the driveshaft and mating to the final drive this could be solved but you may need to lengthen the drive shaft and make mods to the drive flange on the final drive, also mods to the final drive carrier and the rear axels and rear suspension may be required this can all be done but will be expensive if required making you wish you had paid for the M3 kit.
IMHO upgrading the suspension and brakes when adding significantly more HP is essential and should be done in conjunction with the drivetrain upgrade.
I would get hold of the etk and tis and make sure all the parts are compatible and get a handle on what all this will cost before parting with any cash.
Proper planning and organisation is number 1 importance in such projects

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.