BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cheers guys.

Looking forward to the summer and getting really itchy feet with regards to swapping the exhausts, it needs more noise!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had a couple of weeks off recently so managed to get a few bits done on the M.

First job was 2 new lamda sensors. The car was running fine but being close to 100k it was near the change interval so thought it wise. It took me forever to find the appropriate parts, from BMW they are a fortune and you pretty much cant buy one of the sensors anywhere else anymore. In the end american amazon was the cure, ended up with a pair of new direct fit sensors for less than the price of one from BMW.

Pig of a job to change but with an extra set of hands and a whole boat load of extension bars plus a 22mm lambda socket i was pleasantly surprised how well it went.

Then moved onto a few bodywork bits:
- Ordered some pressed plates to clean up the front and rear
- Went to BMW for a new stopper so the filler cap sits at the right level - a tiny detail but really annoying!
- Next task was a bit of colour coding - I wasnt happy with the black door handles on an otherwise red car. After 1 massively wrong attempt a weekend later and I had them sorted.
- Also bought and fitted a spanking new Sony DAB head unit, which means I can revert back to the stubby aerial - more on the stereo later.

Before:

After:

Then yesterdays jobs were ones I'd been wanting to do for a long while!

My Supersprint front X-pipe decat finally arrived from Italy:

Bit of an arse to fit as most of the bolts where it meets the rear section were rusted/rounded completely. After much use of hammers and inappropriate sockets they came off and the supersprint was installed with new bolts.

First impressions are good, its hardly noticable on normal driving, but at WOT theres now a welcome increase in noise! Even in the short time its been on, it is very clearly more responsive, especially in the mid-range. I genuinely wasnt expecting to feel as much of an improvement as it has clearly made. I reset the adaption values on the car last night as well so hopefully it should 'recognise' the mod a little better.

Vids to follow.

Final job for yesterday was to fit my braided clutch hose i've had lying round for ages.

Stolen from google images as I forgot to take a photo of mine before fitting:

Made a nice improvement and should hopefully really help when the car gets hot after prolonged running which is where the original items go to pieces.

My insurance renewal came up a week ago too, so I'm now massively poor again. Could be a while before I get to mess with anything else.

To do:
New tyres - particularly front pair
Service in a 1000 or so miles.
Storm Motorworks gear knob
Rogue short shift kit
Possibly slight drop
Fruitier back boxes.
Have front bumper blown over
Refurb wheels.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Keep this going mate a pleasure to read!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well a bit of an update is due.

Perhaps most notably, a week or so back, a nice chap decided to reverse into me in the works car park. I was queuing to get out, he was to my right in a parking space and the bloke basically just backed out without bothering to look my way. Leant on the horn for a good couple of seconds but he kept going.

Upshot was relatively minor thankfully. The bump ripped the front plate holder clean off its mountings obviously taking my pressed plate with it.

Leaving me with this for the time being:

'

A few days later the chap responsible gave me £150 to sort it out based on the cost of a new plate holder from bmw and a lick of paint. So one of todays jobs was sorting that out:

That should be going on in a couple of days when its had chance to harden off and i can cut it back and buff it up.

By way of a present to the car for going through the wars I crossed something off my 'to buy' list - A Storm Motorwerks V1 weighted gear knob. Unbelievably chuffed with it so far. Would never have believed that a gearknob could change the feel of the shift so much. The extra weight and shorter height is just perfect. Makes it a joy to swap cogs. The engraving was a few pounds more but a really nice touch.

In other news, finally got 2 new front tyres that the M so desperately needed. Went for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's. Very impressed with them from what i have felt so far. I'll most probably replace the rears with them when the current Hankook's die.

And finally decided to change something that has been niggling away at me for a little while. Now winter is over and i'm no longer driving everywhere in the dark, the HID's are no longer so neccessary, this meant the aftermarket projector lights can take a back seat for a while.

Just for you Christopher:

Inspection 1 service is due very shortly, so its been an expensive couple of months recently. Insurance renewal for £700 in march, £230 of front tyres, £120 for 6 months of tax and £350 for the service.

I'm dieing to do something about the quiet exhausts but funds are dictating thats going to have to wait for now. Something to look forward to i suppose.

For now I'm just loving driving it. Getting the windows down and very slightly sideways out of junctions isnt really loosing its appeal.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Shame about the bump! Glad it got sorted! Looking forward to a new exhaust! A Miltek sounds nice ;)

I have the V2 shifter and that is great well recommend!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Couple of small updates ahead of a few more serious changes

The M knocked past 100k miles a few weeks ago

This roughly coincided with an Inspection I being due, so new fluids and a good check over revealed a cracked front spring (more on that in the near future) and a nail in the rear o/s tyre, which were close to the tread limiters anyway.

A set of new rubber was therefore required. Went for a pair of Kumho KU36's in the end - a relatively unknown and rare tyre in the UK but im very pleased indeed with them so far. A marked improvement over the old Hankook V12's, however i'm unsure if that was due to them being near the end of their useful life anyway.

Gave it a scrub down today even though torrential rain is forecasted for the next few days:

In an attempt to quell the piss-takers at work i also bought a sticker:

Still loving the thing. Bought an adjustable clutch stop a few days back which has transformed the gearshifting experience when combined with the weighted knob. An essential mod for anyone with a Z3M.

Looking forward to the next 100,000 miles.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Bought an adjustable clutch stop a few days back which has transformed the gearshifting experience when combined with the weighted knob. An essential mod for anyone with a Z3M.
Where did you get this from? Easy to install?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
A set of new rubber was therefore required. Went for a pair of Kumho KU36's in the end - a relatively unknown and rare tyre in the UK
Yeah I was just looking for some...

Only found "Mytyres" that have them so far... Where did you get yours from? They seem cheap for what they are...

They are not listed on the Kumho Website.... :frown

21 - 32 of 32 Posts