BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

It is said that at some point every true petrolhead must own an Alfa Romeo, or a V8. I suppose the sensible thing would probably have been to buy an Alfa first.... maybe not.

Anyway, I have recently acquired a gorgeous 2005 645Ci with a slightly eye-watering spec. This is my first "big" car, my previous daily driver being an e46 330Ci Clubsport and prior to that a Peugeot 407 estate.

I have decided to create this thread/blog as a source of information to try and help people deciding whether they can afford to make the same decision. I'll be covering everything about the car - good and bad!

For some time now I have been running a 1999 911 alongside the BMW as a "fun" car. I bought the BMW sometime before the Porsche and didn't realise I would ever have a Porsche on the driveway anytime in the near future (long story short, friend of the family co-bought the car but now needed to sell).

I had a problem that the Porsche, whilst fast, was utterly useless at carrying things and the BMW was not quite good enough at carrying stuff for work, although it was quite quick.

I thought a while about buying an e46 M3 and although I would still love to buy one, I know I could not have afforded the servicing for it. Plus, it is no better than my 330Ci for carrying stuff.

So, after some research, I saw that the early 6 series had suffered unbelievable depreciation (like a lot of big, thirsty exec cars) but it looked perfect for me - comfy, gadget laden, big boot and a V8!

After considering a 630i for a while, I knew the 645 would be right for me. I looked at a couple before heading up to Sheffield to see one advertised on eBay.

I was pleasantly surprised because the car was actually better than I had imagined it would be. It was very clean considering the recent weather and most importantly the owner was a very nice, very honest chap. We talked about cars in general and that car for over an hour and a half, before I made an offer and we agreed upon it. I spotted a screw in the front tyre which was very unfortunate but luckily he was very acknowledging of how pricey these tyres are!

Two hours later (thankyou, modern banking) and the car was mine, the deal was done. A fantastic drive home ensued and that's where I'm at. So, important bits - pictures!!!

Here she is, after a cursory clean:

CRW_1148.jpg CRW_1151.jpg CRW_1156.jpg CRW_1157.jpg

As you can see she is black with a dark grey dakota leather and "dark birch" trim. This is the first time I've actually bought a black car - twice I've gone looking for black and twice wound up with blue!

The spec is: Extended dakota leather, heated sports seats, heated steering wheel, professional nav, Harmon Kardon Logic 7 Sound, HUD, radar cruise control, garage remote, ipod connection, voice activation, panoramic roof, electric mirrors, xenons and a factory debadging.

I'm over the moon about it so far, but there's already things to do (as I'm neurotic)... which will be detailed in my second post.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Yeah get some real fuel mpg comparisons to the 330 id be intrested how much the tank fills are and range from full to empty. Ive been tempted by either a 645 or merc clk 320 next with my head saying 335i slightly more room in the back ive found the 6 seires quite small they could deffinately have lost some boot space to make bigger rear seats

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me having a bigger boot is definitely a selling point. It seems one of many cars which appear huge but actually have tiny cabins. The other notable example being the 8 series!

I go into London often for meetings (around 70 mile trip door to car park) and I have decided recently to get the train part of the journey to see if I can cut costs. Took me a long time to find a station which is close to me and cheap to get to London.

So booked to go there and got there today to find someone has been hit by a train so they've all been cancelled!

Turned the 6 around quick and drove straight to London. Had reset my journey computer just before I left and the overall journey average - including going through a town trying to park, leaving a town (at rush hour) and London traffic - was 27.5.

I am really quite impressed with this, on the same journey my 330Ci would probably be about bang on 30, perhaps 32 if I had been parsimonious. I am still enjoying the V8 of course and having the odd blat in sport mode. Before i got bogged down near Tower Bridge the car was indicating 30mpg, which I am perfectly content with. On a European road trip with less slowing down/speeding up I don't see why 33-ish is out of the question.

I'm delighted, because this is pretty much the main journey I do, I also have the benefit of being able to claim mileage when I work and at 45p a mile that cover the petrol comfortably.

My next task is to try and source two front tyres, as the n/s front has got a screw right in the side wall. It's firmly in there, but I know you can't repair a runflat (certainly not the sidewall) so I need to go tyre hunting. Got Bridgestone Potenzas on there now, thinking about keeping them or maybe putting some Dunlops on.

I have joined Fuelly and will be submitting my findings there!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Yeah im tempted to stick with bmw and get a 6 im not a big fan of auto trans so im on the lookout for a good manual seen lots of 630 manual but not so many 645/ 650 manual

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gold

I was originally planning to get a manual, although they are rocking horse poo. I found an auto which was totally specced up and couldn't resist it.

I did my research beforehand and the auto box in the six is way more advanced than the one in the e46. It is lighter despite being a six speed vs five and it can also lock up the torque converter so you get almost the same efficiency as a manual. The auto is actually rated better on MPG and CO2 than the manual.

TODAY'S UPDATE

First day of active service for the big six. Not sure whether to call it Brutus or Grace Jones (on account of it being black and very muscular).

Was due to travel to London, aimed to go to my nearest sensible station. Started a new journey a couple of miles into the journey to see my MPG in rush-hour on country roads. Got to the station, after spending an age trying to park it found out the trains were cancelled due to a person having been hit.

So hopped back in the car quickly and blatted down to London. Drove fairly normally, mix of regular driving and cruise control. Coming into London the trip computer was reading 30.0 mpg exactly. By the time I parked up at Waterloo this was 27.4.

On the way back MPG rose to 28.5 again before I decided to hit sport mode, use manual shift and jesus wept this thing shifts! It's pretty crap out so I don't really fancy exploring the limits of grip but it is very competent on the roads around mine. Popped into town for a quick kebab (it was midnight) and in all the total MPG was 27.4 again.

Overall I am very impressed, my 330Ci would get around 31 on the same journey so I think considering the vast performance differential and luxury on offer, that is damn good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So another fill-up, a quick journey to Ingatestone the other day, my nav decided to take me through Chelmsford town centre, getting me there with an MPG average of 27. Taking the A12 back led to MPG of 29.7, with over 30 being displayed whilst on the motorway.

I got the best MPG of all in my 330 during a European cruise - 36.8 compared to my 31.2 average over here. I would see no reason the 6 couldn't do 33 on the same journey - the same MPG my dad gets from his ultra-modern Range Rover evoque diesel.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Sounds good i think im gonna try and get another nice summer out the convertible then move to the 6er i think deprecition is at it lowest now to get a good deal on 6 series im after a black with tan or creame leather

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi James,

Are all your mpg figures from the dash display or have you done a brim to brim fuel tank check on mpg. I have always found that the computer displays are usually a bit optimistic by 3 or 4 mpg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rich

I am going by the dash display, however I am also measuring it on Fuelly and it is showing an average around 26-27mpg. To be honest, I am more interested in the MPG relative to the 330 which I also measured from the dash display.

I estimate I would get similar mileage to a tank as with the 330 - ie. anywhere from 300 - 400 depending on how I drive it, considering the tank is about 10% bigger that seems about right in my "man maths" world.

Regarding road tax, mine is a pre-2006 car so the tax is actually identical to the 330, ie. £280 a year. Not an issue for me, just irksome that the 911 I sold cost £60 less!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say I find those alloys pretty repulsive, but then I haven't seen any alloys (except the M6) on a 6-series that strike me as instantly right. My ellipsoids are growing on me slowly, but my splitrims on the clubsport took ages for me to like them.

I thought about that car but something just struck me about it as wrong. Could be me being sexist but I can't possibly imagine any woman I know choosing a 6-series, let alone a manual one with black wheels. More power to her if she did but it just seems off. I could be totally wrong, maybe the bloke is just looking for a quick sale but if you do look at the car I'd be interested to hear.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I really didnt like any of the styling years ago but the last few years with all the new bmw models out you can sort of see it was the first of that revolusion to change the bmw shape so i find it really nice now, i think the alloy wheel selection is pretty good i like alot of them this is another style i like

BMW 6 SERIES 630i Sport 2dr Auto 3.0

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are nice alloys, they remind me a lot of the alloys Aston used on the DB9. What code name are they?

I agree about the general shape of the six. However, I've always thought BMW's bangle-fication works much better on the bigger cars than the smaller ones. I prefer the E60 over the E39, but the E46 over the E90.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today's update, my local friendly indy had some time to look at my bulb (reversing light). He'd never done one before but confirmed that we do need the bumper off to do it. Got the bumper half off, or enough to get the bulb changed and that sorted my issue. No more "bling" when turning the car on or off!

All in cost me £20, not hideous but still frustrating as I pride myself on being able to "at least change a bulb"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a bit of an update

Been really enjoying the car, keeping an eye on fuel consumption and it seems anywhere between 25 - 33 according to the OBC, depending on what I'm doing. Have booked the car in for an ECU update with my local main dealer next week so will see if that makes a difference. According to fuelly my average MPG has been around 25.5. I can live with that - ish.

Less palatable is the damage done to the car the other morning by a rogue badger, obviously part of some elite badger suicide squad. Fortunately the only damage to the car was the aftermarket front splitter. This has been broken off on one side so will need replacing. I have ordered a replacement one (only £99) and I have also ordered a rear spoiler for the car from Taiwan via fleabay. I am really interested to see how it turns out because I find the rear of the car is just a little dull. Hoping the little wing I have ordered will liven it up. Nothing big, not even as big as my clubsport, it's kind of a half-way between the standard thing they have on there and an e46 CSL. Will post pics when it arrives.

Otherwise, she's a beast and I love her to bits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
only just found your thread after many pm's :) will follow for sure, and be interesting to see the spoiler from ebay, had one on the z3 and the paint and finish was spot on!

will do my own thread for the 650i asap, our spec is very similar, you have sunroof and heated wheel over mine though. your milage reports are interesting too... not that far off the 650 tbh!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Think im gonna get one last summer out of mine then change over to 6 series it just seems to be more grown up and at those prices why the hell not less than 10k buys a car worth 60k+ when new less than 10yrs ago is a winner in my book only draw back is getting used to the autobox for me

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The six is so different to the e46, it is mad!

Gold if you're ever my way I'll happily show you round the six.

I am a die hard manual guy, but the auto box in the six is really good - a generation ahead of the one in the e46.

At least you can find a manual six,unlike many others, but they are rare.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Thanks for the offer im miles away sadly, is it easy to use when parking or challenging

1 - 20 of 31 Posts