BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought id do my own project thread since im the proud owner of an e28 again.

Think itll take ages like as got loads to do to get the house and garden into shape after just moving in.

Ive gave it a clean since its been of the road since 2005 and its came up not bad but itll need a machine polish tho.Looks better allready i think with the wheels i had on the e34, ive got the M5 replicas on that now that i kept when i sold the e39.

To do:

Fix the crusty rear arches and replace drivers wing and get jacking point welded

Remove all the engine ancilleries for cleaning/ painting

Replace centre and rear exhaust if it cant be welded

Get rid of the towbar ( DONE )

Replace all the fluids and filters ( DONE )

Get brake calipers/ suspension arms etc cleaned up

Replace the batteries in the si board in the instrument cluster ( DONE )

Just get it in better shape really although its not bad

Wee mods:

Black rear spoiler

E39 cup holders on centre armrest

E30 Sport interior mirror

Thatll take me AGES lol

Heres a couple of pics after i gave it a quick wash and changed the wheels, ive always thought wheels make a big difference to a car.

Before

After

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well finally got round to making a start. Not got much time or money with just moving into the house so i thought id start with the dead instrument cluster and change the si batteries.

This what e28 clocks look like with dead batteries and the engine running:

So off with one steering wheel nut, 2 screws and a couple of plugs at the back to get the cluster out, then 8 screws at the back to get this:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well finally got round to making a start. Not got much time or money with just moving into the house so i thought id start with the dead instrument cluster and change the si batteries.

This what e28 clocks look like with dead batteries and the engine running, i know, i need a can of petrol lol

So off with one steering wheel nut, 2 screws and a couple of plugs at the back to get the cluster out, then 8 screws at the back to get this:

While im in there i thought id do the needles red with a permanent marker. Then theres loads of fiddly screws etc to get the gauges out like this, you got to be careful like as its delicate as you can imagine:

Finally you get to the culprits:

These are the Varta ones and i think think theyve been in there since new as the cluster seemed untampered with so theyve lasted well! Theyre well and truly stuck in there ( solder and glue ) so ill need to be in the right mood before i really make an effort to remove them without breaking the tabs.

I want to replace them with one 2.4v battery outside the cluster and i got some good advice on another thread and it seems that should be ok so ive ordered one and should get it Thurs.

Thats it till i get the batts but made a start anyway :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Made some time for the e28 again. Managed to remove the batteries without breaking the terminals and soldered in the wiring as planned and got it all back together:

Then i connected the 2 1.2v batteries to the wires but the batts started to get hot. Ive dismantled the cluster back to this to see if anyone can see if ive wired it wrong:confused Ive placed the old batts in the order they were for comparison :

Ive got 2 wires on the + terminals and 2 on the - ones, then spliced and onto the batts like this:

Im thinking ive wired it properly and dont understand why the batts get so hot, or maybe thats normal:confused

Be handy if anyone can comment on that:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does the mrs not mind u parking on the grass? i would get a bollocking if i did that! lol
lol could tell by her face she wasnt impressed but she never said anything, it was only to get the pics:thumbsup

Do you reckon ive wired them batts properly Taz?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts