BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been washing about here and there on this forum for a few months now since buying a 328Ci back in Feb/Mar. Although I shopped around and bought what i thought was the best car for the money, I have already had my fair share of problems with it.

First I suffered a coolant leak which turned out to be a leaky top hose but which revealed a thermostat quite literally FULL of oily gunge! :eek
The system was cleaned and has been run for a few hundred miles now and there are signs of a return of the gunge in my header tank, and traces under the oil filler cap too! :jaw-dropping

So now i'm saving up for a cylinder head replacement! :frown

On top of that the CD is not working and the car is tramlining and pulling left. This doesnt seem to be getting worse, but definately wasnt a problem when i test-drove the car a few months ago!

However, just when I get to the end of my rope and contemplate binning the thing, I'll take it for a drive and it'll leave a long-lasting smile on my face! :D

Thanks to NealP, Ronnie, RYM20 and everyone else who's chipped in with advice so far - I'll keep you all posted as to how things are going and, hopefully, I'll have a beauiful, fully functioning, working perfectly, 190bph beast in no time!! :hihi

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thats the thing with BMWs, IMO they need lots of TLC and can be potential money pits but the drivng experience as a package is addictive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Certainly sounds like you have been unlucky. thats not the norm but bare with it & you should come out the other side a very happy camper :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i certainly hope so! Generally it is in awesome condition - everything is clean and tidy - in fact the engine at idle is much much quieter than my 1.6 Zetec CMAX Ford that I use for work! :hihi

lovely to drive! except that time i got all sideways on a roundabout in the wet...:eek

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you mate - bought my 325ti last year, from BMW, full BMW history, lowish miles for its age, great nick inside and out....but this year it is becoming a money pit, so far (this year):

New wishbines, 4 wheel alignment, 2 new rear tyres, full set of discs and pads and now going in for:

New rear shocks and springs and further investigation to the vague steering / mega bad tramlining - and anything else that it fails its MOT on! Arrrrgggghhhhh!

·
Registered
207 Posts
lovely to drive! except that time i got all sideways on a roundabout in the wet...:eek
Thats why you get a rear drive car..... so much fun! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeez Sam, sounds like you've had a mare too! Good thing is, once replaced your suspension and brake parts should be good for a few years! :thumbsup

My car had new front wishbones fitted a year before i bought it and has good tyres so i hope its ok for those - prob needs bushes and a 4-wheel alignment tho!

Still, for all it's problems, its miles better than owning a corsa or a clio!! :hihi

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
hey lauren...the e46 328 coupe is a superb machine...glad your now sorted...hope everythn stays that way now!!youll be smilin for a long time too come!:thumbsup

·
Registered
611 Posts
Jeez Sam, sounds like you've had a mare too! Good thing is, once replaced your suspension and brake parts should be good for a few years! :thumbsup

My car had new front wishbones fitted a year before i bought it and has good tyres so i hope its ok for those - prob needs bushes and a 4-wheel alignment tho!

Still, for all it's problems, its miles better than owning a corsa or a clio!! :hihi
I agree - although my G/F's corsa has been a trouper - 5 years and its cost a pair of front discs and pads and a pair of front tyres (plus a yearly service).

I do still like my car - just hit the redline and a smile instantly appeards! The straight 6 is gorgeous - I just wish the ride wasn't so sh*t!

·
Registered
206 Posts
i certainly hope so! Generally it is in awesome condition - everything is clean and tidy - in fact the engine at idle is much much quieter than my 1.6 Zetec CMAX Ford that I use for work! :hihi

Snap - about 4 weeks ago went sideways then full 180 before hitting kerb backwards. Wheel bent in, thought not too bad...........4 weeks later and 2 garages it cost £2800 to fix. Note to self: be careful on the greasy roads and leave that f*ckin DSC button alone :hihi

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note to self: be careful on the greasy roads and leave that f*ckin DSC button alone :hihi
:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I think there is a good reason why turning the ASC off triggers an annoying yellow warning light in the centre of the dials!!!

An early experiment with the ASC off led to a very sketchy moment in Tesco carpark....:jaw-dropping

haha!

·
Registered
611 Posts
But turning the ASC off in an empty snow covered Sainsbury's car park was bloody good fun - muchos sideways action!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts