BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd make a start with a quick question which has been bothering me for a few weeks.

At present I own an E36 328sport, previous to this I owned an E46 328. The E46 used to average around 30mpg (this included a mixture of motorway and town driving).
My E36 is being driven more or less the same, along the same roads, but is only averaging 23mpg.

Is this normal?

Parkers says that I should be averaging around 30mpg.

I'm thinking a could see an improvement from some fresh spark plugs, O2 sensor and a new air filter.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm honest I'd probably say the E46 was nicer to drive, It was smoother and felt more modern and comfortable.
However In terms of looks I much prefer my E36 sport, even though the E46 was a more modern looking motor, the m-tech kit and 18's on my sport win it for me.

I just fitted a new thermostat when I did the viscous coupling. I was hoping that replacing the broken viscous would have bumped up the mpg slightly, but no joy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I flushed the coolant out last week and put fresh in, I'm doing the oil and filter tomorrow. I think i'll invest in some plugs too.

I'm not expecting a massive difference but I'm fairly confident in saying that a good healthy 328 that's driven similar to how I drive mine should at least be averaging 27/28mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.