BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here have a 328 e36? just wondered how many miles your getting for your money. I bought a 1996 328 convertible on new tears eve, all the M kit, lowered and running 18" wheels on 225 tyres (love it, haha) and was very suprised to get 125+ miles off 20 quid petrol (86p litre) this was mainly around town with about 5 cold starts and really putting my foot down every now and then, I wasn't expecting that :hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi:hihi:thumbsup

·
Registered
401 Posts
i got 150 miles to 25 quid, that was in one run wich saw me thrashing the estate a few times and some quite energetic driving on the short stint up the motorway

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, they are surprisingly good for their age and engine size. I really don't understand all this diesel nonsense! I have a loan 6 speed tractor at the moment and around town it uses more petrol than my 328 sport did (and that's trying to drive sensibly)!
Its a wonder you use any at all if you are putting petrol in a diesel engine !!!! lol:D

Jim.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The BMW big 6cyl petrols are quite impressive so long as they are running right. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, they are surprisingly good for their age and engine size. I really don't understand all this diesel nonsense! I have a loan 6 speed tractor at the moment and around town it uses more petrol than my 328 sport did (and that's trying to drive sensibly)!

400 miles off 35 quid says its not nonsense :hihi

around town you wouldn't expect them to be more economical, stop start is single firgures to low teens whether you're in a mini or a ferrari.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
True, it's down to personal opinion I guess. Diesel cars have come on a long way. My current loan car will do 45-50mpg easily on the motorway which is quite impressive with my driving!

Personally, I still think they are a false economy.

You just have to look at the number of people who have had big bills to replace turbos, intercoolers, cats not to mention problems caused by swirl flaps! Diesel costs about 15p per litre more to buy as well.

My preference would be for a big engined car on LPG.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A reliable petrol car with LPG is definitely a great option (sadly, my LPG omega MV6, was not reliable. It was great while it lasted, but the engine went pop). Having said that, I'd never have a car converted myself.

Cost variance depends on your mileage and pocket. I'd love to be able to drive 30k pa and not care about the fuel bill, but if I'd gone for the 330i I really wanted, my fuel bill would be about 1500 pa higher than it is at the mo, and right now, I can't afford that lol.

..I think we've digressed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.