BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help
I am after an Mp3 Player solution that I can install in my car that will allow me carry my vast collection of music in my car which I can update wirelessly when I need to

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Get an iPod or other USB based device

1) Wirless is slow compared to USB2
2) Most players only support BT at most which is usually at most 1Mbps (Sometimes 3Mbps for BT2.1 with EDR) and they don't normally support file transfer over BT.
3) You'll flatten batteries if the MP3 player's radio is left on in the car waiting for a connection.
4) Radio links get slower with a poor signal such as through several pieces of glass.
5) signals will dropout when you are doing a 3-5 hour file transfer for a few albums will mean you need to start over or check every file for corruption.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
joylove, you ever come across the Parrott Android? Looks pretty decent.
The headunit with android and custom Google apps and nav? Saw it on the news feeds at launch at CES. Looks amazing for features like all Parrot gear, probably with great software also like their other stuff.

However if it's like their other stuff mechanically it's made of the same plastic as the tray After Eight mints come in and it's really disappointing to have in a BMW.

Will wait till Halfords get it in and I can go for a prod and poke before deciding about it, like I do with all Headunits.

Alpine plastics in particular have gotten a bit creaky with their cheaper units. Pioneer are starting to lead them for materials quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heard of the ipod? :hihi
I already have the I phone which has Tomtom + docking station I wanted something more technical that can seat in the boot {a small hard drive that I can plug in to the CD changer unit} and which I can use done the like ftp to dump files on via wifi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I do not really want to run wires from the phone to the back of the stereo and hate the FM transmitter jobbies which constantly get disrupted by rouge radio stations

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
I already have the I phone which has Tomtom + docking station I wanted something more technical that can seat in the boot {a small hard drive that I can plug in to the CD changer unit} and which I can use done the like ftp to dump files on via wifi
Why dont you buy a cheap (seccond hand) ipod from ebay, just a normal ipod with the click wheel,

Load all your music on,

Use something like the Dice silver line pro or media bridge, connect it to you cd changer harness and leave it all in the boot ... see my links for dice install at the end of my sig

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hard disc won't work after a winter. Condensation forms on the platter during cold starts in the morning and you'll be replacing it every January. I have tried.

Go solid state.

Wifi will drain your battery in a day or two unless you do something clever with a sleep function.

Is it really that much hassle to hoist your MP3 player in once a month to do a quick update over USB?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard disc won't work after a winter. Condensation forms on the platter during cold starts in the morning and you'll be replacing it every January. I have tried.
Toshiba make special automotive HDDs mate. This is what all the LCI models are fitted with :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Toshiba make special automotive HDDs mate. This is what all the LCI models are fitted with :thumbsup
Agreed, but SSD might work out cheaper per GB :eek

I think Blaupunkt once did a HU that could source 800mA to run a HDD. Or you could modify a USB cable and add in some more juice to run an external HDD caddy. A powered hub with just one device connected at any one time might work too.

Anyways, of the 60GB I used to take to the car, less than 30% of it actually got listened to regularly. 16GB of music (esp MP3 or MP4 compressed) is probably ample in the real world.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed, but SSD might work out cheaper per GB :eek

I think Blaupunkt once did a HU that could source 800mA to run a HDD. Or you could modify a USB cable and add in some more juice to run an external HDD caddy. A powered hub with just one device connected at any one time might work too.
Agree about the extra current. The factory USB doesn't provide enough juice to power an external drive :frown.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Y not just buy a new head unit that is iPhone compatible. I got a kenwood for £150. Other option would b a car pc with a screen in the dash. Or a laptop with a screen in the dash. Other than that u could get a hu with USB and get a small hard drive connect it to the hu and just take it in and update it. Other than having a pc u can remotely shut down any other device will drain the batter whilst it's in you car updating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts