BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 318i or 320i E90 for my first car but I'm not sure what mods would be good for the car. Also do I have to report the modifications to my insurance company if so what will happen if I don't report it, and if I do report it will the insurance price go up?

----
EDIT:
Also the car is going to be a manual.

·
Registered
922 Posts
some insurance comanys will charge more,if you dont tell them you have a pile up they find
out they will not pay out.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What @kib said.

Keep a log, including serial numbers of parts added/deleted/changed and let them know all mods .. In some cases (limited) insurance can come down, but that's unlikely for performance mods!

There's a chance that if the insurance is void through non-declaration of mods and is in a smash, then not only will they not pay out, you might also be prosecuted by Police, if applicable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What @kib said.

Keep a log, including serial numbers of parts added/deleted/changed and let them know all mods .. In some cases (limited) insurance can come down, but that's unlikely for performance mods!

There's a chance that if the insurance is void through non-declaration of mods and is in a smash, then not only will they not pay out, you might also be prosecuted by Police, if applicable.
How will I they find out because I don't want to increase the insurance cost as I'm already being quoted around 7K for when I get a license and am trying to find ways to reduce the price before I get a licence. I don't think modding is going to help my insurance price but ofc i want to mod the car too

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
1,048 Posts
How will I they find out because I don't want to increase the insurance cost as I'm already being quoted around 7K for when I get a license and am trying to find ways to reduce the price before I get a licence. I don't think modding is going to help my insurance price but ofc i want to mod the car too
Thought of adding your mum onto your insurance policy? That will usually bring the price down quite a fair bit

As for mods wise, Are you getting the m sport model? I’ve add m performance kit and went on a pin striping spree and wrapped my v brace in the same colour. Carbon fibre spoiler and tinted my rear and front lights. 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers and floating centre caps and wrapped my interior to go with the exterior. M style wing mirror caps
Mirror Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought of adding your mum onto your insurance policy? That will usually bring the price down quite a fair bit

As for mods wise, Are you getting the m sport model? I’ve add m performance kit and went on a pin striping spree and wrapped my v brace in the same colour. Carbon fibre spoiler and tinted my rear and front lights. 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers and floating centre caps and wrapped my interior to go with the exterior. M style wing mirror caps
View attachment 276878
View attachment 276881
View attachment 276879
View attachment 276880
[/QUOTE
Your car looks hella nice, for some reason it was cheaper without my parents as main or additional as that was the initial plan but I was jus playin about and found out it’s cheaper jus for me on provisional. I’m trying to get the M Sport variant

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You asked, it was answered, if you mod without insco declaration and crash, even a small one, then insurance is likely void so you're royally screwed. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Simple. Police are also getting more clued up about mods and with ANPR it's a mugs game going without.

I guess also it matters which mods you put on, if they're just cosmetic I don't know if they'll affect insurance, I see modding as being all for performance so am looking at it from maybe a different perspective.

Best way to reduce insurance we found was to get our son a cheap, small, piece of crap Fiat something (free from his grandad) for his first year, he as the driver, me and his mum on as named drivers and fit a black box. Started out in the thousands, when the re-quote after a year came round it went down to about £500, he bought a Mazda 3, still at £500 ish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You asked, it was answered, if you mod without insco declaration and crash, even a small one, then insurance is likely void so you're royally screwed. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Simple. Police are also getting more clued up about mods and with ANPR it's a mugs game going without.

I guess also it matters which mods you put on, if they're just cosmetic I don't know if they'll affect insurance, I see modding as being all for performance so am looking at it from maybe a different perspective.

Best way to reduce insurance we found was to get our son a cheap, small, piece of crap Fiat something (free from his grandad) for his first year, he as the driver, me and his mum on as named drivers and fit a black box. Started out in the thousands, when the re-quote after a year came round it went down to about £500, he bought a Mazda 3, still at £500 ish.
I could give that a try, if u don’t mind me asking how old was your son before and after the requote as my
Friends are telling me insurance will be cheaper once I turn 18 because I’m 17 atm, but my parents are saying it depends on how long you’ve had the license for.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I could give that a try, if u don’t mind me asking how old was your son before and after the requote as my
Friends are telling me insurance will be cheaper once I turn 18 because I’m 17 atm, but my parents are saying it depends on how long you’ve had the license for.
He was 18 when he passed his test and got his first car, the Fiat.

·
Registered
2013 BMW estoril blue f30 330d
1,048 Posts
I don’t know if pass plus and advanced driving courses is still available. Back then one of my friend done the courses when he first passed his test, after completing the course at the age of 18 he went out and bought himself a mk1 Ford Focus RS and he was about £400 a year fully comp

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
id say total bollox,how many cars are sold with mods .owner aint got a clue etc,ive had assessors look at cars and never questioned anything,different if its power,then you kill someone involving speed,thats the only time they would check,,car sellers 99% of them dont know either

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id say total bollox,how many cars are sold with mods .owner aint got a clue etc,ive had assessors look at cars and never questioned anything,different if its power,then you kill someone involving speed,thats the only time they would check,,car sellers 99% of them dont know either
So say I was unaware of the mods because the previous owner had no idea or he just didn't say, I wouldn't get convicted or smthn because that's not my fault and they won't check if it's not an accident involved with speed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Like I said, I assumed mods to be performance related, which are likely to attract an insco premium and police interest if in an accident. If they're cosmetic, I don't know ..

·
Registered
676 Posts
£7k for insurance…… glad I am an old fu**er!
if I was you and just starting out driving then I would get a little sh1t box to smoke round in for 12 months first.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
So say I was unaware of the mods because the previous owner had no idea or he just didn't say, I wouldn't get convicted or smthn because that's not my fault and they won't check if it's not an accident involved with speed.
no,its your responsibility to upkeep and your car etc.but how are folk supposed to know,,never heard of anyone having insurance voided because of,lets say,lip spoiler/wheels different colour,etc,even a remap,they would have to delve into ecu with correct reading equipment,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plan on getting a 318i or 320i E90 for my first car but I'm not sure what mods would be good for the car. Also do I have to report the modifications to my insurance company if so what will happen if I don't report it, and if I do report it will the insurance price go up?

----
EDIT:
Also the car is going to be a manual.
Need some help with a part number for my BMW 330e 2016? I'm purchasing a air filter box? I'm trying to find out the right part number to be precise before purchasing? Any help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts