BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I know this will probably throw up a LOT of different answers but in short:

I'm with 02 and have been for as long as I can remember, the other day I realised I'd paying waaaaay too much per month considering how little I use it (compared to the limits I have)
At the moment I have:
1200 anytime mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £31.50/month.
That's with some flashy Samsung which I hate and actually send less texts from becuase I hate writing them on the damn thing soo much.
Is it too simple to think that if I just halved all that, I'd pay half? becuase that's what I want.

After my best negotiating all I could get was:
500 anytime mins and free to other O2 calls, unlimited texts, 500Mb data allowance and a free dongle (which sounded crap so would probably never use it), they offered some carry case too but I said I didn't care about any of that tat, i just wanted to pay less.
The lowest they would do that for was £25/month and I'd get a Nokia C5 with it.

Does anyone know what other providers offer good deals? as it's a bit of a mine field when I try and search for things like this online.
Also, are there any phones I should look out for? or indeed avoid? As when they start saying 'but with that you'll get this bla bla bla' it means nothing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
you sound as if you use your phone for nothing more than calls and a few texts - might be worth going onto a payg - which would typically cost you around £10 a month. If you top up £10 a month by direct debit - most of the providers throw in unlimited text

Reactions: Sphinx

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I got 3 at £20 with a Nokia E5, unlimited texts, 1gb internet and about 600 mins.

£20-25 seems the norm at the moment. Although 3 did offer £14 for the same deal with a shonky phone that I guess no-one wanted.

Whatever you do - call them. Even the humblest call centre drone wil ltry and get you a deal..........the internet won't!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's just it, I use it for calling and texting (more calls than texts) but I would go online IF the phone was good enough to do so.
I like to be able to check things online when I'm out (prices etc) so net would be nice. I hadn't thought of PAYG tbh, connotations of a skint 15 year old spring to mind.

Neal, good point about calling them, it's very hard to bargain with a screen.
Also I've just found that 3 deal and it does seem tempting.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the larger screened phones are the only ones worth surfing on, so HTC,iPhone,Samsung,Nokia and LG.
most vendors are really pushing smartphones - so go look at a few in store before thinking about the actual contract

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

The more I look at this 3 deal the better is sounds, it really does show how providers can't be bothered to keep existing customers and instead offer the best deals to the newcomers.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
3 paid big money for the 3g contracts a few years ago, and they are having to heavily subsidise their deals to get people over onto them. Only downside is patchy network coverage, so check it in your area before comitting to an 18/24 month contract

·
Registered
38 Posts
i was paying £35 per month with orange and wanted to pay less. Called them and asked them what they'd do. They gay me 500 minutes, unlimtied texts, 500mb internet and a HTC hero for £22.50 per month. also get magic numbers and orange wednesdays cinema tickets so quite happy.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm that throws a spanner in the works, I've checked the coverage around here and it does look a bit patchy.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
my gf is with o2, and been with them for a while

She is now on a sim only contract, which can be cancelled at anytime, so you dont have a minimum contract,

She pays something like £8.50 a month, with 300mins, 1000 texts, and then she just pays £5 for an internet bundle for her iphone :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts