BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
not sure if I’m posting in the correct place. I’m looking to purchase a bmw 1 series 118 shadow edition 19 plate in estorial blue. (Manual/ petrol) any advice target price with main dealer? Currently asking £18840, 1 previous owner with 4K miles. Any thoughts on the 1 series would be appreciated as I have had minis for 10 years and don’t know much about the 1 series except it’s rwd. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Looked at one a while ago for one daughter - at that point not a driver, she declared a 1 series to be too boxy, but she then had one child and now has 2, ended up with a VW Jetta 1.6tdi BlueMotion and loves that, especially the huge boot.
But another daughter is seriously considering a 1 series - maybe a 120i as a move up from a Skoda Fabia - she's single and petite - so the fact it's boxy and a manageable size is a plus.
Get yourself a login on Autotrader and see what nearly new 1 series go for - and what options are available - or use the bmw website to build one you'd like - then make sure anything you look at has the options you like.
Decent headlights are one thing I always look for, as a result have had xenons since 2001 on every car, a sunroof would be nice as I had one in my first car, heated seats are brilliant for 6 months of the year, bmw cruise control is good.
RWD is something to get used to, have always had RWD cars, only got stuck once in a 7 series - and only picking a daughter up when snowy down a residential dead end at the bottom of a hill, that was an easy push by neighbors to get rolling and keep going.
Have you driven one?
Try some with different engines, there are some quite small ones, 118 is that the 118i - which is really a 1.5ltr 3 cylinder?
Looked at that and discounted for our purposes as not powerful enough, around 184bhp seems a good figure - but this is for one that's been driving small cars and wants something with a bit more 'go' :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have test driven the 118 shadow (petrol) lovely car and very similar drive to the Cooper D. I like the spec of the shadow as it has the majority if not all the same gadgets as the Mini. I tried a Golf but wasn’t keen. Thank you for your feedback 😊

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Welcome..
Currently looking at 2ltr petrol 1 series as mentioned, find one that has almost everything, then see doesn't have cruise...
Bear (bare?) think on that the 1 series will be a little heavier than the mini, so would need more power to give same performance, so if want something a bit perkier add a few more bhp...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Big fan of the 2 litre petrol 1 series (b48 engine) - my other half has one and it's fast, economical and sounds good. Well worth a look I would say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts