BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for my dream car to buy, and I've found it - well below my price threshold as well. The only problem is that it has 64k miles on it and I was looking for a low mileage car (30-40k miles).

I'll probably be doing ~15k mile / year for about 3 years before I sell my car, which would put the vehicle just above 100k miles. Is it even possible to sell a car when it gets that many miles on it? How bad would the resale be? The car is going for 12k (330d, manual, leather, sat, rims, SE model, etc) and I may be able to get it down to 11k (thoughts?). What could I resell for with 100k miles on it? 6k? 5.5k?

Also, what kind of repairs could I be getting myself into when I'm hitting this kind of mileage?

·
Registered
163 Posts
if the car has a good service history on it to date then i would not worry about the resale. i once sold my Toyota Avensis with 154k, full service history for a good amount. i never buy a car with the thought of how much it will be worth in a few years because it varies on a number of factors, i.e the economy, new models etc. to sum it basicly its out of your control so just buy a car to enjoy it and let your hair down.

as for repairs these engines are pretty bullet proof. any car you buy will need to be mentained to a certain degree. worse case is probally a few sensors, clutch, wheel bearings, bushes etc nothing that will break the bank tooo much. repairs will vary on your driving style :)

go treat your self, you wont look back-BMW POWER ALL THE WAY

·
Registered
470 Posts
Agree with the above - however be warned and exercise extreme caution when purchasing - even if they claim a full history do your homework HPI the car - verify the mileage - and ring the dealer to check out the truth. Any discrepancies then do not part with your cash until you are happy.

It sounds like a lovely car - check out wiisebuyers and parkers to give you a guide on how much it is worth - it is a buyers market at the moment so haggle for a good deal - I would not worry too much about going over the 100k on resale if it is high spec and been looked after and still is tidy then it should not present any real issues.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
All cars will de-value unless you get something very rare and a bit special in which case the price can fluctuate.

High miles is only a bad thing if the vehicle falls into the hands that can afford to buy the car but cannot afford to pay the money to have the vehicle correctly maintained. There's a lot of really sweet high milage cars (with circa 150K on the clock that are running as good as new and better than many cars with half those miles!).

Buy you car, maintain it well, keep all the receipts/invoices along with a stamped booked and it will stand out in years to come. Buyers would much rather buy a well maintained car thats running bang on than a shed with low miles.

·
Registered
478 Posts
For a diesel 100K is barely run in ;-) So most diesels don't worry about the mileage as they are good for very high miles, when maintained properly.

Tom

·
Registered
210 Posts
I sold a TDi Passat with 197k miles on it for 200 more than I paid. Diesel residuals especially will always remain strong.

However, when paying over about 6-7k for a car, it'll never be worth more than half that in three years time, no matter what it is (above caveat re special stuff being the exception).

I'm pretty gutted to have put 20k on my car in 8 months after buying it from a dealer, so it's gone from a low mileage 320d to average mileage (45k to 68k) and that will only continue to get worse. At the moment, it's hard to see being able to avoid downgrading next time around (I'll go for an older 330d I think).

Depreciation is part of the cost of owing a vehicle unless you're at the bargin basement end. (sub 1-2k) so work out if you can afford it. There are sources of info that give projected resale levels. One thing to remember though, a 330d will hold its value MUCH better than most.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good advice from Keith2.2

Also worth noting that certain body shapes hold value better too. Have a look on Autotrader, you can pick up a saloon a lot cheaper than a tourer, they seem to hold their value better, colour and spec can make a wee bit of difference too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts