BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to create a single thread to keep track of progress with the car.

Story

Having driven a Mazda RX-8 as my daily drive for almost a year and only doing 5,000 miles in it I realise I needed something a bit more practical and reliable.

Setting my eyes on either a BMW coupe or a Focus ST170 I started shopping. My search eventually led me to a BMW 320Ci in Cardiff Evans Halshaw.

What I found
Upon walking upto the dealership I saw the BMW sitting next to the door, having had a quick look round her I popped inside to get the keys. The M-sport body styling looked even better close up, I think my heart was decided.

Getting the keys I started my checks of the car, only to discover the following:

1) The check engine light stayed lit
2) The airbag light stayed lit
3) The idle was quite rough
4) The clutch pedal was slightly high
5) One of the rear tyres was incorrect

Plus points included a mileage of only 50k and a reasonable service history.

However, after a discussion with the salesman we agreed that all work would be completed before I parted with any deposit. So two weeks later, after the BMW dealership had got the parts to fix the problems, I walked in with my RX-8 and out with the 320.

Driving home that day was bliss, took her down the twisties rather than the motorway, the sport suspension coping well.

When I got her

After Cleaning

Immediate Plans
Due to the nature of my job I do not use the car much when in the country, and I spend at least 4 months of the year out of the country.

This means that mods cannot be as extensive as I wish at the mo.

List:
  • Exterior
    Upgrade dipped and main beam bulbs [Have fitted new dipped beam]
    Fit new wipers (been considering retrofit aero blades) [New Bosch Blades fitted]
    Inspection II service [Completed + Additional Oil Service]
    Repair front bumper
    Alloys refurbed/exchange for MV alloys
    Fit new tyres
  • Interior
    Fit Molex plug for satnav [Fitted]
    BMW Car Mats [Fitted]
    Fit iPod lead [Fitted]
    Make boot tidy
    Purchase missing tools

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Currently it really is in the balance regarding the alloys, I have looked at the MV1,2,3 the BBS LM, the M3 Reps, the M6 Reps, very undecided at the mo!

Haha, pockets aern't as deep as I'd like as I also have a Beetle restoration to fund, and a house deposit..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Currently it really is in the balance regarding the alloys, I have looked at the MV1,2,3 the BBS LM, the M3 Reps, the M6 Reps, very undecided at the mo!
I think for the pre facelift cars MV1's look classy. You can get them so cheap on ebay nowadays. Depends how 'modified' you want your car to look i guess.

Nice example btw. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen a nice set with partial tread for £350 notes, so will keep my eyes on them.

My plan is to keep it as true to the BMW and M-sport as I can, but adding some more practical touches (Mainly the lights and repairing/replacing items).

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well things have taken a twist slightly, as I have realised that although I will be keeping the car for another two years I do not want to spend any more than I have to on it!

(Am saving for a house deposit)

So therefore apart from my list of small things on the first page nothing else will probably be done.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blimey, been a while for an update here. Apologies for the image quality, it was dark and taken with the flash on my N8.

Finally got round to fitting the XCarLink

Should have hoovered the carpet first mind!

Close up of install

Then I got bored

Dashboard at night

New glovebox damper

Drivers sat nav cubbyhole

Hardwired satnav charger

Genuine BMW Tyre inflater

New battery tray cover holding down screws

Tomorrows Job

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To summarise the variety of threads I have created:

Work done to the car in the last month.

Hydraulic Valve Lifters changed on cylinder 5. Rectified cold start misfire. (Although I think the ones on cylinder 2 should have been done also.
New front wishbone rear bushes fitted. (Has improved handling, although I think new tyres and tracking will help too.)
Oil service completed.
xCarLink iPod cable refitted as connector was faulty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts