BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
After seeing a repeat of this classic top gear episoide i wondered which i myself would buy.

I know i should be biased. But out of the three i really do prefer the merc.

Sorry, the m3 is just too silky smooth for my liking. The merc is more aggressive and almost parculiar, which i like.

As for the RS4? Its just an a4 with a bit more power and some nice alloys.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sound like you have made up your mind. The M3 I think will always be the best performance car in this sector. All the idiots drive Audi's now so the RS4 that would be out of the question for me. Lexus ISF is worth a look too. Saw one in a car park some weeks back and in the flesh it looks great and sounded superb. This will probably be even more rare than the C63.

I have always been a fan of the AMG mercs, the C63 (chap a few streets away has a dark grey one) look quite butch, but shouts through the exhaust nicely too. The plus side is that its less common and I think even RS4 drivers will think twice about tailgating. If I had the money, without doubt I'd get a C63 out of this line up without hesitation. It will perhaps make the best cruiser out of the lot and with an auto box it'll be sublime to drive.

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of the 6.2ltr engine Merc have fitted in the current C and E class AMG models. My cousin has the E63 but it just doesn't have the same torque like his previous E55K did. IMO the 5.5ltr Supercharged unit is the best of the bunch ot date.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice to hear your opinion

i agree the m3 is the best performance car of the lot, but im not a person that goes for performance alone

half a second 0-60 or whatever it may be isnt so much of a difference so i would go for the c63 simply for the things you listed really, as well as its aggressive attitude and looks.

i also agree, i like the amg range, but i also love the m range. especially the m5 which is my favourite car within any family performance saloon range

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I do have a very soft spot for RS4's.... they are MUCh more thna a beefed up Audi A4!!!

believe me, Ive driven one (only for an hour though) and they are weapons of mass destruction :hihi

The Merc I have no experience of and the M3s are fantastic cars...
but I would still go with the M3 hands down, even though Im a bit bias.

If I lived in a country wheres theres a big chance of snow and ice (canada for example), it would be the Rs4 with its 4 wheel drive though...

The E55 AMG models as DSk says I think are fantastic.

A friend of mine recently bought an E55 AMG and although I have not been in it yet, its certainly a vicously fast car and very good value for money IMO!

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i think each car listed would have pro's and con's
and making a choice between them would require your head,as well as your heart.
a drive of each would be required before the decision could be made.
on paper i'd plump for the M3,but i'm not narrow minded enough to dismiss any of the others without at least trying them :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, apart from the ultra-rare concord on Top Gear, the M3 is (in my opinion) easily the best looking out the three, and fastest round the track by a significant margin.

AND, it broke the Top Gear ****-o-meter. Come on, what more do you want?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd have the Merc everytime. I had two E55's and they never missed a beat. I was looking at the C63 earlier this year and went completly outside the box and bought my XK as frankly I was driving far to quickly and whilst the Jag is quick it's nowhere near the E55 or 63's. :eek Also fancied the wind in what's left of my hair :hihi
The AMG was a very driveable everyday motor which didn't attract too much attention and didn't cost me a fortune to run, service bills never went over £450 and it returned 23 mpg average! I even got nearly 20K from a set of tyres and as already said I didn't hang about. Which is why I came close to ordering the C63, also the new E class was due out soon so another E didn't appeal. I do miss the E55 if the truth be known!

For the track the M3 is a winner but everyday the merc is more of an all rounder. Audi's have always given me problems and christ they are nearly every second car I see now. Although the RS4 does have a cracking engine.

Shame they dropped that 55 engine, it was mainly due to the fact it ate gearboxes and this new gearbox couldn't handle the torque. After all it was the same engine "tweaked" they used in the SLR and blimey that could shift!

All these motors make cracking second hand buys if your in the market, they drop like a stone in the first few years. A mate of mine bought a new 4 door M3 in the summer 08, got fed up of people trying to nick it (even had the house broken into) he can't shift it now, great motor though!
:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
As for the RS4? Its just an a4 with a bit more power and some nice alloys.
Sorry chap, you can watch and agree with Top Gear all you like, but you can't possibly say the RS4 is "just" a fast A4 (although of course, even top gear agree it's a monumentally good car).

I wouldn't dare try to choose between the three without having a go...although I'd be horribly tempted to go for a second hand RS6...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts